Chapter 21

-- Georgia --

When I arrive at Harry's house, I don't expect to go anywhere. I imagine we'll do what we've done every night for the past three nights straight and sit in the living room talking with Niall. He's been a little off since Tuesday night, and I can't figure out exactly what happened. I know it has to do with Charlie and her drama that she can't manage to escape from. I swear that she's created a bottomless crater in the earth filled with her dramatic demons that claw her back down any time she begins to climb out. Personally, I think she enjoys the darkness, the seclusion, the malcontent. But Niall isn't like her. He doesn't want to drown in her anger and disappointment. He's the most genuinely happy person I know.

When I walk through the back door, I immediately head up the stairs as Harry had told me he would be in his room. I can see down the hallway that Harry's door is open, but Niall's is closed. I should check on him to make sure he's okay. I hate seeing him hurt. It makes me hurt.

I tap my hand on the door three times and patiently await him to open it rather than invite myself in as someone like Charlie or Harry would do. He only opens the door slightly to peer out at his visitor. He doesn't seem delighted to see me, but his eyes do light up a bit making me feel a bit better about his condition.

"Georgia," he says with a tone of surprise.

"I see you've done your hair today," I smile. He half smiles back at me for a brief moment. "May I come in?" I ask. He says sure before he opens the door for me to walk in. He leaves it open, though, as if closing it would get him into trouble.

I move to his bed, kick off my shoes, and sit down cross-legged on the end. Patting the comforter next to me, I beckon him over.

"Tell me what's up," I say. He sighs heavily and almost looks angry as he rubs his hands over his face to hold the back of his neck.

"I really don't want to talk about it, Georgia."

"No. I don't accept that. Both you and Charlie have told me absolutely nothing. I don't want to be in the dark anymore. If something bad is going on with my sister, you need to tell me," I pause. He looks over at me with an expression of concern. "I'm really starting to get worried..." I say fearfully.

He sighs heavily again, but not exasperatedly as he had before; it's more out of care for my feelings. He moves over to the bed to sit next to me. Although his body is facing mine, he looks down at his hands instead of looking me in the eyes.

"You really don't know what's going on with Charlie?"

"No. She keeps me so in the dark about everything in her life. She's my other half, and I don't know her at all."

"Georgia, I'd tell you what was going on, but it truly isn't my place. If I say something..." He trails off as he shakes his head, but I know what he's implying.

All I do is sigh heavily in response. "I understand. But at the same time, I really don't."

"I wish I could tell you," he says.

"I know. But whatever is going on right now needs to stop. You two just need to talk. I know how much she needs a friend like you in her life." I pause for a brief moment before placing my hand over his and giving it a gentle squeeze. "Don't give up on her. She may act all tough like she doesn't need anyone, but it's a front. Plus, if you and I are going to be friends, you'll have to see Charlie all the time," I laugh. He grins slightly, but his eyes are still focused on my hand over his. I release my grip for slight fear that I may give him the wrong idea if I let my hand linger there too long. I mean, I don't think he likes me like that, and I wouldn't want him to think that I wanted anything more from him.