Chapter 3 : A Deadly Puzzle

Chapter 3

A Deadly Puzzle

January 15, 1:10 Am

    "Ms. Brown, I need to speak to you" Snarled the taller pale blond.

    "I'd rather you didn't call me that, but what is it?" Maureen snapped.

    "Well I don't care what you would rather I didn't do. The only reason why you and your clan isn't dead is because we need your help. You promised you would help us take down the Clave and the New York institute, and take The Mortal Instruments. Have you done a thing? NO!" Shouted the first blond. Maureen winced, she only wanted Simon for her and she wanted his family dead. She knew nothing of these men other than they had reputations. When they came to her knowing her intentions of wanting the Lightwoods dead they told her they would help because they too wanted that. But it turns out that they wanted much more than just that. Much more.

    "You blow this and you will be exterminated from this job permanently." Said the younger blond with a sly smile. "And we will take control." and with that they left the hotel, leaving Maureen alone in the dark.

January 15, 3:30 pm

    I stood in the training room with Jace and Izzy. They were going to teach me how to talk my way out of being eaten of killed by a demon. I wasn't very good at talking my way out of things so I was pretty sure that I was going to fail this lesson.

"You guys know I suck at talking my way out of bad situations, do we really need to do this if I'm going to fail it?" I whined.

    "Hmm, lets think about that for a second... Oh yeah! That's why we learn!" Jace said sarcastically. I snorted and rolled my eyes, Jace needed to learn how to control his sarcastic out bursts.

    "Jace has a point, you never get better if you don't learn. It will be easy for you anyway, just use compulsion." Izzy said.

    "Compulsion?" I questioned.

    "Yeah all vampires have the power. I'm surprised you haven't figured it out." Izzy shrugged. I thought about that for a moment.

    "Actually I have used compulsion before." I said. I remembered the time I tried to sooth my mother after she found out I was a vampire, it worked only for a short time.

    "On what? it takes a lot of persistence to persuade a demon even if you use compulsion or a compulsion rune." Jace said.

    "My mom." I replied sheepishly.

    "Well, that's a good start sense she's a shadowhunter." Izzy pointed out. I shrugged and looked at my watch, 3:37.

    "Guys, I have to go. I'm meeting with my family at 3:40 to discuss... things."

    "Just say something before you go." Jace groaned. I looked him dead in the eye,

    "Please don't eat me Mr. Demon I'm too young to die, and I have a wife and son ." I said with out any emotion and shrugged on my khaki jacket that was sitting on the bench. Izzy bit her lip and tried not to laugh.

    "If that were a real situation you would be a goner or if you had any luck, the demon would die laughing." Jace snorted.

    "What ever. I'll be back in a hour." I rolled my eyes and gave Izzy a quick kiss on the forehead.

    "Oh also, you're already dead technically. A demon would know that!" Jace yelled when I was walking out of the training room.

    "Shut up before I come back in there and make you!" I jokeingly yelled back over my shoulder. I left the Institute with a smile on my face. I didn't really like Jace but he was a funny guy once you got to know him. I walked to my mothers house quickly. Things we still tense between us, the persuasiveness of my sister must have made her give into the fact that I wasn't a evil monster. That would have explained the call from her a few days before we had left for Idris. I arrived at the front door a few minutes later and was pleased to find that my mom painted over the stars of David and other things she put on the door to keep me away.

    I hesitated, I wasn't sure if I should knock or let myself in. I decided to knock even though it was technically my house in a way. I heard my sister run to the door, she opened it and wrapped her arms around my neck.

    "Hey Becks! I've missed you." I said and hugged her gently. We broke away from the embrace and she smiled up at me then a small flicker of worry crossed her face.

    "What's wrong, I was never told a specific reason why I had come. Did something happen?" I asked worriedly.

    "Well l...." she started "Nothing is wrong... nothing happened" That break in her sentence scared me, she never did that unless she was really scared. I knew it wasn't me she was scared of too, it was something else. The worry on her face deepened but she took my hand and dragged me inside and shut the door. I walked into the living room and found my parents sitting on the couch next to each other, they had the same look of worry on their faces as Becky did. In the awkward silence I sat down on the love seat across from them, regretting the choice not to bring Iz with me. Becky sat down in the chair that was next to the love seat and we stared intently at our parents. They only stared back. Tension crackled in the air around us.

    "Why did you guys call us here?" I asked, breaking the startling silence.

    "Ever since you found out that you were born a shadowhunter have you wondered why you couldn't see shadowhunters or other paranormal things?" My mother asked blandly.

    "No" my sister answered. A odd look crossed her face.

    "Sort of. Where's Joey?" I said wearily.

    "Idris." My mom answered shortly.

    "What part of it didn't make sense to you Simon?" My dad asked he was staring directly into my eyes but his gaze seemed far away.

    "Well all shadowhunters have the sight from the moment they are born. I never could see any of that. Obviously Clary could but her mom paid Magnus Bane to put a mind block spell on her so she couldn't see that stuff." I said slowly, I wasn't sure if I liked where this was going.

    "That's right. The reason why you two couldn't see shadowhunters and other things is because we had your sight erased by a more powerful worlock than Bane." My mom said. I stopped breathing, I knew Becky didn't really understand this but I sure did.

    "Ragnor Fell" My father said. I growled quietly, the punch line was coming. l could feel it, so I sped things up and asked,

    "Something happened that caused you to tell us this. What was it?" My dad got up and walked to the phone and pressed play on the messages button.

    "Austin Ravenwood, I haven't heard from you since you and Elaine left the Circle." Said the horrifyingly familiar voice. "I just wanted to make you aware that I will cause the Clave to fall but your Downworlder son and the rest of the New York Institute has been getting in the way. I only say this so you will not find your and your son's death a surprise . Simon has always gotten in the way by the way And vampire, tell your Warlock friend to thank his father for me. Best wishes, Valentine and Jonathan."

I stopped breathing, Valentine was dead but that was him no doubt. I had to have my parents play the recording two more times. On the third round I recorded it with my cell phone.

    "Tell me this is a sick joke." I hissed after a few minutes of silence. My dad looked at me with anger and sadness in his gaze.

    "I don't know."