Chapter 2: "Front Of the Chapter" Art

It remains unsurprising to me that the first "front of the chapter" art would be of Yuu and Mika

It remains unsurprising to me that the first "front of the chapter" art would be of Yuu and Mika. Well, here's my own interpretation of this artwork.
----------------
Yuu carries his sword in his hands on this art rather than in his belt. The sword is noticeably leaning against his chest-- his heart.

This could symbolize that the reason why he holds that sword in the first place is for his loved ones-- especially for the boy that Yuu feels is always around to haunt him no matter where he goes.
-------------
The lighting is from the upper-right corner, and Yuu is facing away from it. Yuu wants revenge, so this is represented by him facing towards the dark.

Mika has this eerie glow around him from the lighting, making him seem almost angelic or ghost-like. From Yuu's perspective, Mika is in the afterlife, and in a nice one too.

Mika's body faces away from Yuu, and he seems closed off from the soldier, deciding to hug his knee instead and to avoid any physical contact. This young Mika looking back at Yuu almost looks like he is pitying the now-soldier, yet also with a mixture of real sadness (Notice that Mika's eyes aren't really smiling, further accentuated by the way his mouth curves and his eyebrows are raised. "Smiles" can be used in an attempt to cover up pain, which is what Mika always did back in chapter one).

This ghost-like version of Mika could be just a fragment of Yuu's imagination.

Going further with this idea that it's Yuu's imagination, Yuu unconsciously knows that the desire for revenge is wrong (by imagining Mika looking that way towards him).

However, the reason why Yuu still looks toward the dark part of the sky may be because he blames himself for his family's deaths (for Mika's death, especially). He goes for revenge because he doesn't feel that he deserves to live a happy life without doing something for the family he loved dearly, yet left behind.

In my opinion, this could be one of the most bittersweet artworks of this series.

-----------
By the way, thanks for 500 views. Totally was not expecting this many. Seriously guys, thank you so much!