Chapter 22: A Tense Morning

The next morning, everyone gathered in the restaurant for breakfast again. Haiji grabbed a cup of coffee and went to leave, but the Imposter stopped him. "Stop! Everyone shall be eating here in the morning as a way to assure nobody can get kidnapped during breakfast! I have learned from last time; we all will leave once everyone is finished. Stay here."

Haiji scowled at the large man. Following the trial, he and Byakuya had a discussion before bed about his appearance. While he will continue wearing the white suit, as it will be easy to distinguish from Byakuya's black outfit, the Imposter had removed his mask. Though he doesn't have a name, he shall wear his true face for his new friends. Haiji scoffed at him. "Sorry kid, but I'm not eating in the same room as her." The man narrowed his eyes at his little sister. "Little bitch could have poisoned the food. Lucky for me, that chef guy locked the coffeemaker."

"Actually, that was me," Hiro admitted, getting his own cup. "Since Fuyuhiko and Peko didn't want that padlock anymore, they let me have it and the key for free! I thought it'd be a good idea to preserve my morning pick me up."

Most of Hiro's classmates and a few of his upperclassmen were surprised at his logical move, though Hiroko was glad that her son was finally using his head. Only a moment later, the clairvoyant spilled his coffee all over his shirt, running over to a table to grab napkins while yelling in pain of the hot coffee. Hiroko still smiled, glad that her son still had his goofy side. Then she got up and helped him.

Back with the arguing men, the Imposter crossed his arms. "I do not care if you are holding a grudge against another person here, you will remain here for your safety and the safety of others. I will work as hard as I can to prevent any kidnappings."

Haiji chuckled. "Good job you've done so far. You let two people be kidnapped. Just let me go."

The Imposter shook his head. "I refuse. As your leader, I must insist that you-"

"Hold it!" Taka shouted, leaping to his feet. "This was something I was going to discuss with the group yesterday, but the issue of Nagito and Mikan's abduction prevented me from doing so! We have not officially declared a leader among us, and I believe that I am fit to play that role!" Mukuro rolled her eyes.

The Imposter turned to face Taka. "Taka, surely even you can see that I am also fit to be the leader of these people. In fact, if I recall correctly, my original fate in the Neo World Program happened because I tried to save Nagito from certain death. You have potential, but you lack all of the requirements necessary to lead such a large group."

"Shut up you morons! Clearly, I'm the best leader that ever was, because the Warriors of Hope only started losing once I lost!" Masaru yelled at the two.

"Shut up, Masaru..." Toko grumbled.

"Really? You three are who we have for leader candidates? Clearly, out of everyone on this island, I'm the only one fit to lead. I led a entire resistance of adults against an army of robotic bears!" Haiji countered.

"That did nothing until two girls showed up and did everything for you..." Toko once again mumbled under her breath.

Kyoko was about to say something when Makoto stood up. "Um, I'm not sure if you guys will agree, but Kyoko is the only person here who was a division leader in Future Foundation. Well, Byakuya would become the acting head is something ever happened, like another killing game, but right now we're in a position where I think either of them could be a good leader."

"Wait... You kids are Future Foundation!?" Haiji yelled. "You guys are bastards!" An uneasy tension filled the room. Makoto and his friends hadn't considered what the repercussions of being Future Foundation members would bring with anyone who didn't like them.

"But we're the good guys!" Hina defended. "We rescued a bunch of people thanks to Mrs. Hagakure's help! And we fought against the Ultimate Despair and even helped them and we tried to help you guys in Towa City!"

Now Komaru stood up. "She's telling the truth! I saw a whole bunch of their agents getting killed by the Monokumas before I was captured! And Byakuya was there to save all of us! Or, at least the hostages of the demon hunting game..."

"That was fun!" Masaru proudly announced. After being confronted by Nagisa and Kotoko about betraying the Warriors of Hope, Monaca apologized and the group of friends made up for a fun life together again.

"They're all correct, Haiji," Hiroko said from her seat. "Koko and Fufu--" Toko winced at hearing her nickname from the woman, even though it didn't bother her that much, "found cards with information about the hostages that were forced to participate in that game. I tipped off Byakuya and even assisted him in finding some. Once the Monokumas were no longer swarming, that is. Didn't want to die out there."

Haiji looked at everyone in the room. From Hiroko, to Komaru, to the others who spoke, and then at his coffee. While they had been arguing, most people had managed to finish their breakfast already. Junko was very bored of this whole argument, Chihiro wished for it to stop, the negative vibes were upsetting the Four Dark Devas of Destruction, and Kazuichi had no clue what to do. The only one still eating was Jataro, who had been taking his time with his bowl of oatmeal. The room was silent. Nobody knew exactly how to respond.

After a moment, Jataro finished and the Imposter took notice. "Breakfast is finished! Everyone is dismissed!"

People began to trickle out of the restaurant and went to go do their own things. "Finally." Haiji groaned, heading for the motel.

As everyone was leaving, Makoto stopped Kyoko. "Hey Kyoko, I'm sorry for interrupting you earlier. I just thought you and Byakuya would make good potential leaders and I didn't want you to argue with them. Knowing you, you'd destroy them with your logic."

Kyoko gave Makoto a closed eye nod with a small smile. "Thank you, Makoto," her eyes opened as her traditional serious face appeared again. "But I was not going to suggest I be the leader."

This confused Makoto. "What are you talking about? That's what we were discussing and you didn't seem to want to say anything until the discussion started."

Kyoko crossed her arms. "Do you remember what Haiji said right before I attempted to speak?"

Makoto thought for a moment. "Umm... he said out of everyone on this island, he was the only one fit to lead, right? Was that the important part? Or was it that he led a resistance?"

Kyoko shook her head. "No, you're correct. The important part is in fact that he said 'out of everyone on this island'. I'm not suspecting him of anything, but I do believe he's overlooking a possibility."

"What possibility is that?" Makoto asked.

"What if we are not the only people present on this island?"