Chapter 21: Old Habits

Going to switch to third person for the rest of the book

[><]

After watching Fuyuhiko and Peko's punishment, the other participants of the class trial went up the elevator. Once they reached the surface and stepped onto the sands of Jabberwock Island, they noticed it was dark out. Nearly nighttime, as Kyoko observed, checking her handbook. Fuyuhiko and Peko were standing there, waiting for them.

Fuyuhiko scratched the back of his head, not being able to face the others still. "Look... I'm sorry, okay? I know Nagito says it's alright, but I'm going to accept that. I want all of you guys to know that I feel bad for what we did..."

"I as well." Peko stated, her voice ever so slightly out of her usual monotone.

Nagito stepped forward. "You don't have to apologize."

"Yes I do!" Fuyuhiko insisted. "We thought you were going to kidnap Mikan..."

Nagito laughed as Mikan looked a bit shocked. "Fuyuhiko, I wasn't going to kidnap Mikan. I just wanted to talk to her, I swear. Though, I did get to tell her a little bit before we were freed, so I suppose it all worked out then."

"What did you tell her?" Junko asked, not caring whether or not it was private.

Nagito turned to look back at the others as Mikan looked away with a small smile and blush. "We're keeping it a secret for now. Just know that we know we can trust each other."

Junko sighed, rolling her eyes. "Boring. I'm going to get ready for bed." She trudged off towards the cottages.

"I swear, if she's reading that magazine again..." Hiyoko mumbled.

"Chihiro!" A voice shouted, getting the group's attention. Taichi was running towards them as Hiroko strode behind him.

"Dad!" The programmer shouted back, running towards him.

The father and son shared a warm hug, smiling when they reached each other. "You did so well in the trial!" Taichi praised. "I'm so proud of you!"

Chirhiro smiled up at his father. "Thank you, Dad!"

Hiroko eventually reached the group. "Good job. You kids are pretty smart." They each mumbled a form of "Thank you" or "It was nothing" or "You're too kind." Hiroko smiled at them all. "Toto's already gone home. You all look like you could use some rest, too."

The nighttime announcement played almost on cue, causing the group to head for the cottages. Hiroko stopped her son. "Hey Hiro," she told him. "Good job in there. Glad to see your getting smarter."

Hiro smiled and gave his mother a hug. "I swear, I'll do something amazing and make you so proud, Mom. You'll see."

Hiroko chuckled, returned the hug. "I know. I know."

Those who saw the exchange, such as Chiaki and Hina, smiled at the display of affection between the mother and son.

Things were going to be just fine for the Hagakure family.

[><]

"Come inside." Sakura insisted.