Noah had it worse than many others. He was looked down upon because society assumed he killed his own brother – a person I’m sure he didn’t even want to hurt a single hair on his head. Society beat him up both emotionally and physically. He was the way he was towards everyone because he assumed that everyone wanted to hurt him.

I mean, could you blame the guy?

“It wasn’t because I hit puberty. It’s because she spent most of her time working for my dad,” Noah spat, waking me up from my reverie.

I really didn’t know how to respond to his statement. I certainly didn’t want to piss him off by bringing up his father.

Instead, with a lopsided smile, I lamely said, “Hey, we aren’t here to reside in the negativity. I brought you here because we’re supposed to have fun! No negativity allowed on this street … ever.”

Noah stared down at me with those steel blue eyes. “You don’t have to do this, Emma,” He finally sighed. “I’m not a charity case, okay? Stop trying to help me out.”

My smile faltered when he started to remove his rollerblades. I skated towards him and pulled his arm, which caused him to get up and start skating with me. Although his skin was electrifying against mine, I reluctantly let go so I didn’t embarrass myself too much.

“One game,” I pleaded and held out a single finger in front of me. “Just one game and after that, you could go back home.”

“Fine,” Noah grumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Hey! No negativity on this street,” I scolded.

We skated to the end of the street, the farthest end from the traffic light. The cold air was biting at my skin, especially since the air whipped past as we skated. The traffic light was visible from here and it flickered from red to green every twenty seconds.

“Okay, so here’s the game,” I started, pointing at the traffic light. “It’s basically a race. When the traffic light turns green, we start skating towards the crosswalk. Whoever gets past the crosswalk first wins.”

Noah’s eyebrows drew together. “Don’t you think that’s unfair? I mean, I obviously have a faster stamina than you because I’m a guy.”

I snorted at his doubt in me. “Sometimes I beat Evan – my brother. Yes, I am a girl, but I also do run marathons. Over the years, I built up my stamina. I say this is a fair game.”

Noah didn’t say anything for a couple of seconds. He looked down at me, the corners of his mouth turning up in a smirk. “Okay. Whatever you say, Emmy.”

However, I was too stunned to reply to him. One, my brain stopped working when he smirked at me. I was accustomed to the usual frown on his face that it shocked me to the core when he actual smirked … at me. Two, he actually used the horrible nickname his little sister has given me.

Gulping and trying hard to hide my blush, I said, “It’s Emma.”

“Maia always talks about you. Emmy is growing on me,” Noah said in a teasing matter.

Wait, hold up. Was he actually joking around with me?

I realized I spoke my thoughts aloud and my blush grew a deeper shade of red. I was thankful for the darkness or I would’ve been even more embarrassed that he could see how embarrassed I was.

Noah’s single eyebrow hitched upwards. “Well, you said no negativity on this street.”

I should’ve been enjoying how nice he was actually being and how his unkind behavior seemed to be thrown out the window, but I was nothing but shocked. Once again, it felt like my eyes and ears were deceiving me.