Chapter 39

Elias had taken her stuff. She knew it was him. Who else would rifle through her belongings and steal them? She moved away from where she had seen him at the park with speed. She would go to the police, make them to listen this time. Tell them that he had something to do with Riley as well. They would have to do something! As she sped past the newsagents she saw Riley's face on the cover of the newspapers again.

'STILL MISSING'

They had to lock him up, take him into custody, whatever they do with people like him. He wasn't going to ruin her life anymore. She ran faster, clinging on to her bag, her curls blowing back in the wind. It didn't take long to arrive at the police station. When she got there they tried to get her to wait quietly but she couldn't, she just couldn't. She raised her voice at the guy behind the desk, making sure he listened to her. He raised his hands up at her, his bald head shining under the harsh station lights, and told her to calm down.

Inspector Taylor,' she said. 'I need Inspector Taylor. I have information about the missing girl, Riley Hammond.'

At that he was forced to raise his bushy eyebrows. He picked up a telephone, muttered a few words into it and a few minutes later Inspector Taylor showed up, a stern look on her long face.

'Right this way, Alana,' she said, holding the door open.

They sat down just as they had done the first time, in a room that wasn't the same as last time but was just as drab and depressing. Alana ignored the policewoman's suspicious eyes and constant insistence that she 'calm down'. Would she be so calm if she were being followed by Elias Smith? Alana sincerely doubted it. She poured it all out, about how she had seen Elias with Riley, how he had taken her stuff from the cupboard in her studio and followed her right now, in the park on her way out of the college. Once she was done and letting out a shaky breath, Inspector Taylor began to speak.

'Have you had any further relations with Mr Smith?'

Alana's eyes almost popped out of her head.

'You mean have I slept with him again?'

'I'm sorry to have to ask, but I do recall that was the basis of your relationship?'

'You're sorry to have to ask?' hissed Alana. 'It doesn't look like you're sorry at all. And the answer to your question is - no, of course I haven't had relations with him. He is a certified fruit loop. Why on earth would I sleep with him?'

Inspector Taylor raised her eyebrows.

'You'd be surprised...'

Alana glared at her.

'Are you kidding me? I tell you all this and that's all you can say? What about Riley? It's all over the papers, do you not want to know about his involvement with her?'

The inspector nodded her head slowly, her face an emotionless mask.

'We know about that. He was sighted with her a day before she was taken. We've had him in for questioning but there's no evidence he had anything to do with Miss Hammond's disappearance.'

Alana let out a disgusted laugh.

'Of course he has something to do with it! I was here before Riley disappeared - you already knew he was nuts.'

She shook her head.

'The guy is off this planet. He might look all right but underneath the hair, the smile, the clothes, he's completely ga-ga.'

'He is a suspect, but without evidence there's very little we can do.'

Alana looked at her with disbelieving eyes. She blinked a few times, as if hoping to see and hear something other than what was in front of her.

'Does it not frustrate you even a tiny bit that you can't do anything about a criminal who is obviously out there.'

The inspector pursed her lips at that.

'It isn't our job to arrest people because they've fallen out with their lovers.'

'He wasn't my lover!'

'According to your statement he was. And then he was seen with your best friend.'

The suspicion in her eyes grew as she frowned a little.

'I can't explain that. She liked him, I didn't know she would get together with him. I think he did it to try and get to me.'

'So his relationship with Miss Hammond was based solely upon his desire to get to you?'

Alana gave a frustrated sigh, knowing exactly how that sounded. No one would believe her, not when they knew what she had done. This woman thinks I'm a cheat and nothing more.

'I will send a few of my men down to the college to investigate the robbery. We may find evidence there. If we do, we will be sure to contact you.'

'And what am I expected to do in the meantime? He's out there, loose on the world, roaming around.'

'You continue with your life, Miss Murray. And report back to us any further suspicious behaviour.'

Inspector Taylor stood up abruptly. Alana rose doubtfully and before she could think what to say next she was led out of the room into the hallway.

If you liked this chapter then please don't forget to vote! Also, your feedback is very welcome too, I always try to answer.