Chapter 108: Crossroads

Comenzar desde el principio

Although, that could have been because she'd been cooking over a naked fire for an hour.  

His vision rolled when he felt Ella's fingers drag across his scalp and down the fur on his spine.

The feathers on his wings ruffled and his tail fluffed out.

"God, I can't even lie... this really does feel amazing," he finally mumbled, letting loose a soft sigh and burying his head in his hands. "I didn't know that something as simple as having my hair messed with could feel this good. It isn't the same as I remember it."

"Your body is different now," Ella reminded him, eyes jumping and dancing with amusement when he shivered violently at the sensation of her fingers combing his scalp. "That's to be expected. Although I must say, I'm rather amazed by your openness about it."

"Openness?"

"Yes. You seem to be enjoying yourself. That's a step up from how you usually behave."

"Oh... well, I can't deny that."

"Indeed you can't," Ella sniffed, then pulled back and looked at her handiwork; to everyone's surprise, she glanced at Amelia. "What do you think? Will it look pleasing when it is finished?"

"Certainly," she confirmed, not even looking up from what she was doing. "Sinmir, how fares Gus?"

"He'll be in shortly," the prince shot back, furrowing his brows for a moment. "He said he needed a bit of time to think. He's a bit... stressed, right now."

Ella straightened up and looked at him in concern.

"Stressed? Is he alright?"

Sinmir wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"He's a grown man, little lady. He has needs like everyone else."

Ella frowned for a moment, but then she jumped and flushed red.

"Oh," she squeaked, squeezing her eyes shut and rapidly shaking her head. "Oh... I-I see... w-well, uh..."

When Xaphile's face and ears turned red and Ella awkwardly returned to tending to his hair, Amelia raised her eyes, staring at the wall with a tight mouth.  

"You are in the presence of young women, Sinmir," she stiffly scolded. "Even if you are a prince, such uncouth things should not be spoken about so brazenly in front of us."

Sinmir drew back for a moment. He seemed surprised until he looked closer at her, brows pulling into a tense furrow. After a moment of taking in her appearance, he nodded, withdrawing into a taciturn silence as he sat down at his usual place, back to the wall, facing the entrance door.

Quiet filled the air.

Ella suddenly paused with her movements and frowned, eyes narrowing in dismay.

"Shite," she muttered. "I wasn't paying attention and lost focus."

"What?" Amelia asked, turning her head with a frown. "Something wrong?"

"Hm? Er, yes... I find myself stymied on how to finish the overall look I was working on. I lost my focus and now I can't remember the next step."

"I see," Amelia muttered, letting out a sigh. "Would you like my help?"

"Eh? Could you?"

Amelia sighed again, hanging her head for a moment, but then she put the lid on the pot and stood up. Straightening the apron that she'd tied over her old-fashioned dress, she shuffled around Xaphile, who looked up at her in curiosity.