Chapter twenty-five

By the way, everyone, play the video while reading this you'll get the feels.

"Alright, buddy," Marlin Burns leaned down, resting a hand on his son's shoulder. "First day of school, and you'll do great."

Nemo looked back at him, eyes uneasy. "Everyone's staring at me."

Marlin glanced around, several kids were gaping at the two of them, a group of girls were whispering to each other and pointing.

"They recognize you from the papers," He grinned. "You're famous."

The corner of Nemo's mouth upturned, and Marlin was overwhelmed by how much he had matured over the days. In just a one week his son had gone from a rebellious eleven-year-old to a young man, heart strong and eyes full of knowledge. Dory was right— this boy was strengthened by his trauma, not crippled.

"I don't really want to be famous," Nemo said, fiddling with the backpack straps. "Not this way."

Marlin sighed. "Trust me, I know how you feel."

A laugh came from behind him. Nemo looked past his father's shoulder and beamed.

"You're a Burns, get used to the staring," Dorothy Cobalt came strolling up, two steaming paper cups in hand. She offered one to Marlin and sipped from her own. "Coffee?"

Marlin took the cup gratefully and almost dumped it down his shirt when he felt a kiss placed on his cheek.

"Careful, orange," She said. "It's hot."

He grinned like an idiot. "You've got terrible coffee breath, Little Blue."

"Meet me at that diner," She said. "And no, I didn't just ask you out."

Nemo winked at Marlin as Dory walked away. "It's okay, dad. Dory's cool."

"That'll be Ms. Cobalt, to you, young man." He said, giving him teasingly strict look.

Nemo's face softened. "You can walk me to class... if you want."

"Awe, I shouldn't. You're in middle school now," He ruffled his hair. "You're a man, now."

Nemo grinned and hugged Marlin around the neck. "You're the best dad anyone could hope for."

Marlin squeezed his eyes shut. "You aren't too bad yourself, buddy."

Nemo Burns turned around and started walking toward the school, ready for a new chapter of his life.

"I love you," Marlin said, then his son disappeared into the crowd. "Be safe."