Chapter twenty

Nigel loosely cuffed Marlin's wrists behind his back and he could feel a key being slipped into his back pocket.

"Just in case you can't pull them off," The pilot muttered.

The three rescuers were sitting two miles from PSWay, having landed the bare, 1910 style aircraft. Dory was busy pulling a white lab coat on over her filthy tank top.

"So, you all know the plan, right?" Nigel asked.

Dory gathered her hair into a ponytail. "You and Marlin walk in while I go straight for the glass room. Find Nemo, tell the doctors I have to escort him to Mrs. Darla Moorish," She poured a bottle a water over her face. "Whoever that is."

Nigel climbed onto the aircraft and set a leather helmet on top of his shaggy hair. "Bright red hair, braces, scary face. Avoid her at all costs."

Dory nodded, pulling on a pair of white pumps. "Got it."

Nigel stretched a pair of goggles over his eyes. "And you, Burns? What will you be doing?"

Marlin caught the handcuffs as they started to slide down his wrists. "I'll be your prisoner. We'll go to the conference room and announce me."

"Right. And since you're Marlin Burns, everyone will be there to see you. That will distract everyone from Cobalt, who will be rescuing Nemo."

Dory climbed onto the plane, behind Marlin. A thin black hood was pulled over his head and Dory laced her arms firmly through his.

A few minutes later they touched down on a landing pad and he could hear heavy footsteps approaching them.

"Mr. Avion." A deep, professional voice said near them. "Are these prisoners?"

Marlin felt Nigel climb down off the plane and pull him off as well.

"This one is. The woman is Monica Williams. She's new here, ready for training." The pilot said.

Marlin heard the guard walk up behind him and help Dory down.

"What department?" He said.

"Glass room?" Dory said nervously.

Marlin held his breath, willing her to remember.

Nigel laughed nervously. "Mrs. Williams is new. Monica, it's called the, you know..."

"The mental department?" The guard offered.

"I think so," Dory said.

Marlin clenched his fists, waiting for the guard to get suspicious.

"Very well, Mrs. Williams," The guard held his arm out to Dory. "I will escort you there."

"Thank you," Dory panted.

"Um, guard?" Nigel said quickly. "Please make an announcement for all staff to report to the conference room. I think they'll want to see our friend here."

"Avion. Nigel Avion!" A voice called to them when they came in.

"Moorish." Nigel said in a hushed tone.

Marlin stiffened at the name of the PSWay director.

"Who is this?" Moorish said.

"Long story. But I need you to call a meeting for all staff in the conference room."

"Already been called. They're all waiting for you. Anyway, 42 isn't in the glass room anymore," Moorish said. "I think my niece has him."

Nigel shifted anxiously next to him. "Is he out of the building?"

"I'm 85% sure he's still in PSWay." He replied. "But he must be somewhere in the building. Keep an eye out."

When they parted ways, Marlin opened his mouth to ask what they were talking about, but Nigel interrupted him.

"That was Moorish's brother. Disloyal, like me. Just go along with me," He murmured in his ear. "When I go out of character, run and find your son. He won't be in the glass room."

Marlin blinked. Was the director helping them? Before he could ask about it, they entered the conference room.

The room was buzzing with hushed conversation, all growing silent when the two mounted the podium.

"As I look out to this crowd, I see a better future." Nigel said dramatically. "A people who are doing all they can to make a brighter world for humankind."

Marlin knew he was stalling, trying to give Dory as much time as possible, he held onto the handcuffs, ready to bust out of them at any moment.

"...and there was one organization who took that from us. One man, actually." Nigel was saying.

The hood was lifted from his face and he found himself surrounded by thousands of people. PSWay had to be twice as big as when he blew them up a few years ago. But he knew each one of them had the same exact thought—this man was their enemy.

After a beat of shock, the audience suddenly exploded with energy. There were gasps, yelps, curses, even some objects thrown at him. Marlin felt his past suddenly crash down on him, realizing how reckless he had been. These people had their whole life's work thrown away. They had to rebuild everything they had. And although their works were certainly not justifiable, they thought they were doing the right thing, and he couldn't help but feel a little sympathy.