"What the fuck - Cass, snap out of it! Jared! What did you do!"

I grunted as I struggled against a maniacal Cass. I could feel her rage of emotions as I pushed against her mental barrier, a flurry of emotions that were a mess that I didn't have the strength of comprehend. She struggled, the claws of her hind legs pushing against me as her jaws snapped viciously towards Jared, barely inches from his face.

"Move away you idiot! Cass, calm the fuck- down!" I winced as her claws dig deep into my shin, and my right leg unwittingly buckled.

"Stop it! You're hurting her! Cassandra, stop it!"

What?

Just like that, Cass stopped struggling. Whines soon replaced her snarls, her tail thumping lightly at my side, as if to reassure me. All this time, my eyes never left Jared's face, his eyes wide with worry, and a look in his eyes that looked hauntingly familiar as he stared at Cass.

That's how dad looks at-

"You're kidding. You can't be serious."

My voice was barely a whisper as my arms sagged to the side. Cass barely moved, but her tail snuck closer to me as she tried to shrink into me.

Evie...

"What happened?"

It felt stupid to ask, but I couldn't bring myself to just speculate. Jared averted his eyes, his shoulders hunching as the air of defeat around him intensify. Cass whined, and I closed my eyes. Neither answered, and the silence amongst us invited the sounds of distant moans to surround us.

"What happened?"

I tried again, unwilling to answer for them. The knots in my chest tighten and my voice came out a little strangled as anger started to bubble in my stomach. Doubt started to rise its ugly head within and as much as I wanted to keep calm, I couldn't stop the thoughts that entered.

"Have you both gone mute?" I snapped. I couldn't bring myself to feel bad as they flinched. Cass whined louder, quickly turning around to press her snout into my stomach, unable to meet my eyes. It was clear that she had no intention to shift back yet, and she was not reaching out mentally either.

I glared at Jared, unwilling to back down. He sighed tiredly, taking a step back as he sat down heavily, as if he held the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"It's obvious, isn't it?"

"No it's not you idiot." I lied, annoyed as he tried to stall. He made an unintelligible noise, and he fell back onto his back.

"I can't look at you now."

I flinched, the familiar and painful words shot through me. I barely heard Cass snarl as I watch his head snap back up, panic on his face.

"I didn't mean it like that! I meant, that I can't- I mean I can't look- god dammit! Evangeline!"

I felt myself retreat, gently pushing Cass away as I got up and walked away. I didn't need this, I didn't want to hear anything like this now. I don't think I can bear the memories threatening to flood my mind now.

"Wait, wait, wait! Shit- please, wait!"

"Evie, we're mates!"

Cass' voice had me stopping in my tracks, but all it did was intensify all the doubts that had finally broken through. My breathe rattled a little, still unable to look back.

"How long have you known?" I asked quietly, still unable to face them.

Silence stretched on. I thought they weren't going to answer till I heard Jared's whisper.