The new dawn | Levi x Reader | Zombie AU (part 3)

A/N; Whoops, I actually had this part done ages ago, but I forgot to post it here. Well, better late than never. 

You were going Home, driving in the silent world that slowly drifted into the darkness of night. You sat in the back with Levi, leaning your head against the chilly window, heavy eyes staring at the dark mass of trees flashing across your sight. Eren was driving, sparing a moment from time to time to talk with Connie, just to kill the silence. You didn't mind the talking, it actually made it easier for you to try closing your eyes and relax.

Connie seems like a good guy, judging from the impression he'd given so far. He still remained quiet about his personal matters and he barely mentioned anything about the people he was moving along with. It was only natural, though. We were strangers to him.

You turned to sit upright, giving up for the effort of trying to sleep. Sending a look to your right, you saw Levi leaning back with his eyes closed, but you knew he wasn't sleeping either. As if sensing your stare, Levi opened his eyes.

"Can't sleep?" he asked with a tired voice.

"I can't trust the road to be safe enough for that luxury." you told him. "I'll wait until we get back Home."

"What exactly is this place of yours?" Connie asked from the front as your talk caught his attention.

"It's a hospital, a former quarantine zone." Eren took the freedom to answer.

"Former? So, you're saying you live there by yourselves? No military?"

"Nope. Not anymore at least." Eren shook his head. "Some grew tired of the military taking advantage of their power and making the survivors have bad time living there. People stood up to fight the place for themselves. I don't really know all the details, since me and my friends came in after the take-over had already happened... but, Levi was there." Eren pointed out, and checked on him through the mirror.

Levi kept his eye on the window, not seeming to mind Eren talking about him, so he continued.

"It's all thanks Levi and the others that things changed. Erwin stepped in charge and--"

"He didn't step in charge. -" Levi corrected, setting a silence in the car for a brief moment.

"Yes, he was the one coming up with the actual plan of doing something, but he never claimed to be any sort of leader. Once the military was out, we knew we'd have to figure out a new system to live by. We gathered up to share ideas of how to build ourselves a working community. Erwin simply happened to be the one who spoke up the most and had logic in his ideas, and of course he had already earned people's respect by stepping up to erase the corruption. His leadership was the people's choice, not something he planned on his own." Levi shared the small piece of history.

Connie sat tight, neck arched to see the back seat. "So, what, you all do whatever you want now?"

"Of course not. With so many people as we have in - obviously we have rules." Levi snorted. "We set our own laws and gave everyone jobs to prevent things from falling apart. Everyone's skills were put in suitable use. Medics, guards, cooks, structure workers... we had to build our own small world that has everything we need to function. It took time, but eventually we got everything right."

"I see." Connie mused to himself. "and you all like it in there?" his question was pointed to no one particular.

"Home is best thing that ever happened to us." you spoke up, sadness present in your tone. "And now it looks like we're losing it... after all we've done. It almost feels like the whole world is actually ending."

With that said, you sunk back to your seat and closed your eyes, not feeling like talking anymore about the subject. It was too painful to you. Abandoning the secure life you had grown to get used to, and leaving out to the cruel world again where you'd have to sleep with one open eye. Even the thought of it made you feel sick in worry.

You couldn't see it, but Levi had his eyes laid on you.

We all feel the same." he then said, and turned his attention on Connie again. "and you, understand this; If you step over the line once we get there, if I catch you even thinking of any plans that would cause us trouble... I will personally drag you up in the woods, tie you up on a tree and watch the growlers eat your sorry ass alive."

You opened one eye to see Levi's dead expression. Eren clenched his jaw, and gave a quick side eye to check on Connie. The poor guy could barely draw a decent breath for being pinned under the backseat passenger's death glare.

"Got it." the young man managed to find his voice.

"All right." Levi was pleased to see he made himself clear, and allowed himself to soften his expression. He cast his eye on what he now saw through the windshield, visibly relaxing on his seat.

It was Home.

"This is it." Eren acted positive, wanting to brighten the mood again. "This is Home, Connie."

Connie's interest had awaken, and he now stared at the large building ahead. "Holy shit." he was surprised by the size of it.

You leaned forward, wanting get a better view. The headlights hit the gates as you approached it slow and steady, and your lips curled up to a smile. How nice it was to be back Home again. The corner of your eye caught the sight of Connie's fists being squeezed in, and you leaned a bit closer.

"I know how you feel. There was a time when I first arrived here, too." you smiled in hope to make him relax. "Don't take Levi's words too seriously. No one wants to hurt you." you added, earning a nervous nods from Connie.

The single day had felt like a lifetime, and everyone was anxious to get inside. The gate was opened for you, and you couldn't help but to smirk at Connie as he looked at the place in awe. It reminded you so much about how you first felt when you stepped in the place. After a short hustle, the cars were unloaded from the little supplies you managed to find. Finally, your trip was officially over, and everyone was dying to get inside to have a well deserved rest. The pain in your calf kept your steps slow and careful, but you could still manage on your own, as you so told to Levi, who remained close by ready to assist you.

Once you got inside the building, you met a sight of an oil lamp lighting up a single table at the back of the otherwise dark canteen. A man sat by it, eyeing what seemed to be a map, and some other scattered papers. He rose up at the sight of your arrival. The tall figure couldn't be mistaken being anyone else but Erwin. He left the table with the lamp to come see the returning men, pausing his steps at the more clear sight of you all. You looked like a lot had happened, it was clear from the way he eyed you.

"Welcome back." Erwin's voice was tamed, suited for the sleeping night. "Did you find anything?"

"Can't tell for sure, yet." Levi answered, and then turned to signal Connie to show himself from the cover of other people.

"This is Connie. We saved him from getting turned into a dinner. He's not immune, but he's clear from bite marks. All though, I still think our people should check on him, just in case." Levi cleared up, knowing how Erwin feels about letting in strangers, especially those who have recently been in contact with the infected.

"I see. Yes, that would be the best." Erwin agreed, observing the new-comer.

"Hi." Connie now greeted the taller man, his voice giving in the fact that he felt unsure of the situation. "Um, thanks for having me here."

"Any survivor is welcome here." Erwin offered his good will, now stepping in to shake the younger one's hand as he introduced himself. "I trust you're not carrying the infection, but it's for the best that you let our medics to have a look at you, just to be sure you're not injured any other way." he suggested, and Connie didn't oppose.

You lifted your chin for the said proposal, and stepped in. "I can take him."

The ache in your leg screamed for treatment, and you turned to go where the fade light glowed at the back of the infirmary hallway. Erwin stepped aside to give you room to limp past him, your painful wincing not passing his attention unnoted.

"Oh," you stopped. "Levi, would you mind getting my stuff up for me, please?" you spoke as you lowered the dirty back-bag from your shoulder. "The stairs might take the most of me with the extra weight." you offered the bag for Levi, trusting him to be kind enough to comply.

Levi wasted no time releasing you from the burden. "You can sleep down here, you idiot. Don't push yourself." he was being caring. "Go get yourself fixed up."

"Thank you." you flashed him a warm smile.

"I would kill for a hot bath." Annie stretched her tired arms, receiving an agreeing 'tell me about it' from Mikasa, who actually needed it more than she did.

"And I can't wait to crash my bed." Eren shared his own wish, craning his sore neck from side to side.

"Yes, go get some rest and treat whatever injuries you have." Erwin encouraged the people to do as they please.

There was no need to drain their energy in pointless standing. There was plenty of time to discuss about the mission tomorrow when everyone has more strength to it. People began to stroll each in their own way. The yawns and tired groans faded into the upper levels of the hospital, while those in need for a desperate clean up, remained in the ground floor, going where the water was stored at.

"A word with you?" Levi turned to Erwin, already stepping aside to enter the empty canteen where there was more privacy.

"Of course." Erwin watched the shorter one go, and turned to face your standing figure looking at where Levi went.

Your mind rushed with the heavy thoughts of Levi's possible plans of telling Erwin what happened to Mike. You knew Mike was one of those Erwin truly trusted, and no doubt Mike meant a great deal for him as a friend. You felt sick from stomach for thinking it was your fault that he'd died. If you'd only done as advised; turned to leave as the damned container hall appeared in sight. But no, you had to let your delusional mind believe there was still hope to find something and argue over it like a child.

"(Name)? Are you all right?" Erwin's voice cut off your inner self beating, and you blinked back to the moment.

"Yeah, I'm fine." you lied, hating to think he probably won't be looking at you in such a friendly manner again once he hears the news.

Shutting yourself mentally from the upcoming, you looked at where Connie still stood waiting for your lead. "Follow me, the medics are back here." you pointed where you were going at, and turned around, leaving Erwin behind in the dark lobby.

Connie followed you close by, keeping his curious eye catching the little details he spotted in the dark. You stopped by the open doorway where the candle light was coming from, casting your eye on the person sitting before a pile of files and medical books. Hanji, keeping herself busy as always.

"Do you ever sleep?" you asked, startling the woman.

"(Name)!" Hanji turned on her seat with a smile, but lost it at the better view of you. "Please tell me that's not your own blood." she commented the gore that covered you, worry present in her eyes.

"Is that (Name)?" another voice called out from the tiny supply closet at the back. Before you knew it, Rose made herself visible. She held a flashlight, pointing it at your direction, scanning you down with the light.

"Oh dear girl." she sighed at the disaster on your leg. "Have a seat. Let me have a look at you." she pointed the light at the bed, and then looked past your figure. "Have I seen you before?"

"Oh, this is Connie. A survivor from Karanese." you introduced the young man, almost forgetting his presence since he was so quiet. "Erwin requested you to have a look at him, too." you mentioned as you moved to climb on the simple bed.

"Hi." Connie awkwardly greeted, following you in.

"Hello, Connie. If you could come and sit right here, please." Hanji stood up and offered her chair. "I'm Hanji, and don't worry a thing. I won't bite." she smirked in attempt to make the guy relax.

"Ok, good to know, I guess." Connie muttered under his breath as he walked where Hanji wished him to be.

"Ow!" you cried in pain as Rose unwrapped the dirty cloth from the wounds. The fabric had bored into the flesh, and pulling it off felt extremely unpleasant.

Rose ignored your displeased groans, only focusing on her task. "Why is it always you?" she complained for the bad luck that seemed to follow you whenever you ventured the outside.

"Oh trust me," you only winced as Rose continued removing the cloth, slowly getting used to her touch. "I'm not getting hurt on purpose."

You now worked to strip yourself from your light jacket, hoping to ease up the smell and get rid of the weight of the soaked fabric. After dropping the smelly jacket on the floor, you dropped your arms back, enjoying the light sensation of only wearing your worn out tank top.

Connie sat before Hanji, awkward, as Hanji pointed a light at his head as she ogled for fresh scratches. He stared at your severed calf, knowing it's a growler bite, and finding it completely weird that you're not panicking and crying over a certain death. His focus shifted on your face, and from there, he noticed the old, scarred marks on your shoulder that almost seemed alive in the flickering candle light.

"The immunity really works, huh?" he wondered out loud.

You lifted your chin to look at him, and then at the bite on your shoulder that once changed everything. The palm of your hand moved to brush over the wrinkled skin.

"Yeah. It works." you murmured, recalling the growler's teeth tearing through the skin, how much it hurt back then, and how it's completely numb now.

"Do you all have the immunity? I mean, do you have it here? The medicine?" Connie tried to articulate.

"I'd love to give you the vaccine, Connie." Hanji spoke from behind him, but there was not much hope in her tone. "But, I'm afraid there's nothing left to give you. We lost the little we had left from the medicine." she told in an apologizing manner.

"I see." Connie lowered his chin.

You watched the two of them, Connie the most, feeling sorry for him. How awful it must feel to hear there's no help for him. You attempted to say something to cheer him up, but at that exact moment, Rose poked your wounds with a medicine-wet cotton pad, making you nearly jump off the bed. It burned like a son of a bitch, but you didn't dare to glare daggers at her, since she was only trying to help.

Rose shook her head. "Why is it always you..." she murmured to herself.

-------