The new dawn | Levi x Reader | Zombie AU (part 2)

A/N: Warning for violence and gore!!

They knew. You were sure of it. The way those people stared after Erwin, and the rest of you who explored the outside world and talked behind closed doors. You knew how fast gossip traveled inside the walls, and you'd be a fool to think they didn't know that Home was under problems that couldn't be fixed. None you seekers said anything when it was time for you to leave. The true reason behind your trip was meant to remain a secret, but who were you trying to fool, really. The people knew something was up without anyone telling, that this time your leaving meant something greater than just food and supplies.

Tomorrow morning, in 24 hours you'd be returning, that was the plan. You didn't take much with you. Only the needed weapons and your breathing bodies were meant to leave through the gate. The little food you had stored was left in Home. The others needed it more than you. Each of you knew how to survive, hunt and eat whatever you'd find on your way, so you weren't worried that hunger would be the one killing you. Even if you all agreed to leave the food behind, you still ended up having a little something to take with you.

There you were, following the group through the ground floor in the still dusky morning, passing by some people who silently watched you leave. It was still dark, but there were always those who rose early, or didn't sleep at all. Levi was stopped by a man, lured aside from the moving group. The man held a small package in his hands, speaking quiet words to him, and Levi listened patiently. Eren was standing still as well, having an old lady whispering to him and handing something wrapped to his possession. You walked in silence, passing these random encounters that happened around you, wondering if these people were perhaps trying to ask details of your trip.

Your sleeve was being yanked, and now you were the third one standing on the hallway. A gentle pull encouraged you to turn around, and as you did, a peace of bread was placed in your palm. With a confused frown, you looked at the elder one for a brief moment, before blinking your sight beyond her.

Levi approached the spot with steady steps. He had taken the package from the man, keeping it safely in his grip. He spared you a single glance, before his figure went past the two of you. The man gave Levi food, you knew this without asking. They think we need it more than they do. Your eye met the elder one's again. Her gaze alone told you more than words could speak. It was an act of kindness towards those who dared to face the dangers that the rest of them couldn't, a little something to help you out there.

You wanted to refuse taking the precious gift, but you knew she wouldn't be taking it back, no matter how much you insisted you'd manage without it. With a gentle smile and a nod of appreciation, you took the bread from the slim hand that felt so much colder than yours. A quiet 'thank you' left your lips, and you turned around, holding her gift in your palm, bringing it close to your body.

You still saw those old eyes of hers staring at you, long after you'd left her in the dark corridors of your Home. The memory of it forced your hands to grip tightly around the steering wheel. Your eyes followed the road that had already taken you countless kilometers away from Home. Everyone in the car constantly glanced at the woods and bushes that covered both sides of the road, alert for growlers that could storm out from the cover. So far you had only seen three of them, wandering in the foggy fields like living scarecrows. The sight was like a painting, one of those disturbing ones that still remained too fascinating to look away from, leaving you feel uneasy.

"Take the next turn to the right." Mike instructed from the passenger seat beside you.

You glanced at the map he held on his lap. "We're getting close?" you guessed once your focus returned on the road.