Chapter 25: Empty Halls and White Walls (Hailey)

Start from the beginning

I don't know what the three of us would do if we lost him.

*****

"Are you Mr. Banks?" A doctor walked over to us hours later.

"No, I'm Mason's uncle." Walt and I both stood up, but I stood still while he walked over to her.

"I'm Dr. Lo, let's go-" She started nodding towards the hallway she came out of.

"No, they're family." Walt shook his head and Faith stood up with her arms wrapped around her.

"Well, he had a severe allergic reaction to something he ate." Dr. Lo said and Faith mumbled muffin under her breath. "And, I have to tell you this to cover our ass, he was legally dead for two minutes."

I covered my mouth with my hand, and Faith pulled me close to her.

"Is he fine now?" Walt blinked away his tears, trying to keep it together.

"Yes, he's stable and asleep right now." She looked around the room. "Where are his parents? I thought they would've been here by now..."

"We've been calling them since Mason went into surgery." Faith told her. "They haven't picked up."

"Who filled out his forms then?" Dr. Lo looked down at her clipboard.

"I did." I said, my voice stronger than I thought it would've been. "Walt was still driving, but he filled out what I couldn't." Which wasn't much, mainly signing everything.

"You can go visit him in room two thirty five, but visitors hours end around seven." Dr. Lo told us before nodding and going to the check in desk.

"I'll stay here just in case his parents decide to show." Faith past me to Walt before sitting down again.

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Yeah, someone has to make sure they do show up." Faith gave me a sad smile because we all knew they won't show up now, nearly five hours after the first call.

*****

"Your Dad is okay with you skipping school the day before finals?" Walt asked me while we waited for Mason to wake up.

"Shit." I rubbed my forehead with the hand that wasn't holding Mason's. "I forgot to tell him and Hannah."

"Hailey." Walt sighed and shook his head. "Why don't you go call your Dad before he sends a search party? I'll call if he wakes up."

"Okay." I stood up from my uncomfortable chair, pressed a kiss to Mason's forehead, and left his room to call Dad.

He picked up on the first ring and before I could get a word out, he started yelling. "Where the Hell have you been? Why did you skip school?"

"I-" He cut didn't stop to listen.

"You do realize finals start tomorrow? What's was so important that you're just now calling at nearly four pm?" He stopped to take a breath.

"I'm at the hospital." I started explaining. "Mason-"

"He's why you ditched school?" He was somehow even more pissed off. "What the fuck are you doing at the hospital? Did you not listen to me and get knocked up?"

I pulled on my hair. "Fuck you."

"Excuse me?" He sounded shocked and pissed.

"Fuck. You." I repeated myself and leaned against the empty wall by Mason's door. "I'm at the hospital because Mason had a severe allergic reaction to bananas so bad he went through a five hour surgery and hasn't woken up yet even though it's been three hours since he came out. So yeah, fuck you."