Chapter 2: "the small teddy bear"

Mello stomps his foot glaring at me “fine, take your little girlfriend away. She stink’s anyways”

Near stands up with a stern but sad face, he hugs my waist. “I have loved you for a thousand years” he says into my shirt. I gently grab his face forcing him to look into my eyes “I’ll love you for a thousand more” I kiss the top of his head. “You will be the greatest detective one day Near; I promise you will do great things one day.” Near grabs his favorite robot handing it to me. Watari takes Near to his room leaving the laptop wide open. We stayed silent for a moment till Lawliet finally broke the silence.

“I’m afraid Angel”

“Of what?”

He pauses probably trying not to cry “to die”

I stay calm “Lawliet you’ve been working on that Kira case haven’t you…”

“Yes but, I’m so close to solving this Ang-“

“So you think he’s going to kill you? But you go by a fake name and you never show your face-“

“I did to a police force”

“Oh Lawliet, that’s so risky”

“But I had to earn their trust, at the time it seemed the only way. But soon I suspected that Kira was in fact the head chief’s son Light. But evidence has proven him innocent”

“So you’re depressed because you were wrong?” I laugh a little as well as Lawliet.

“I guess so”

We stay silent again for what seems like forever.

“Miss, Angel” I turn around to find Watari holding two pale blue luggage bags “it’s time to leave”

I smile at the camera “the first that she be spared the pain that comes from a dark and laughing rain” ‘please remember the song’ I thought to myself. I gave up grabbing my bags. But, before I could leave the room that magical voice filled my head once more “when she finds love, may it always stay true, this I beg for the second wish. I made too”

I started to sing with him “but wish no more my life you can take, to have her please just one day wake, to have her please just one day wake”

I smile running out the door, down the hall of Wammy’s ignoring the quiet murmurs of the children. I ram through the front door’s throwing my bags into the back of the small limo. I open the door plopping into the back seat, waiting for Watari who is rushing after me then climbing into the driver’s seat. The ride was quiet for the first 15 minute as I counted cars going past.

“Does he still look the same?” I ask clutching a photo we took at a carnival he and Watari took me to on my 10th birthday, the day before he left Wammy’s house. I clutch the teddy bear that he won me at the hammer game. He had to hit the center of this button with a huge hammer making a little metal thing hit a bell that was at the top of the board. A bunch of guys yelled at him telling him he couldn’t do it. His small pale, thin hands gripped the handle of the hammer. With a huge back swing he hit it hard. The silver hit the bell. The guy’s eyes were wide open, mouths dropped.

“Pick any Angel”

I look through all the stuff animals and pick a small teddy bear.

“But it’s so small Angel”

“Just because someone is small and puny doesn’t mean it can’t be loved by someone”