Chapter Eight

Braxton

My feet stopped moving once I approached the council room board. They should all already be in the room.

I just didn't want to admit the truth about Elise. I knew myself that she didn't love me--she told so herself. However, that didn't make it any less surprising she would do this. Wives aren't supposed to do this.

Right now I had to inform and discuss Elise's infidelity, and I have not been to one council meeting since her abrupt disappearance. The entire situation was not only infuriating but also awkward. I wanted to investigate this by myself, but Brenden already called the meeting.

The guards beside the doors stood stiff, upright and never dared looked at me, but probably questioned why I wasn't opening the door. Finally, I grasped the handle and pulled it open.

When the council members saw me they all fixed their posture and greeted me with a smile. "Hello, your majesty." they all said in unison. I was glad to see Lady Ivy there, the only woman on the council.

I cleared my throat, before beginning to speak. "Something was discovered in Elise's room yesterday." I paused to let Brenden raise the journal for the other council members to see.

Every member looked curious, and turned to me for an explanation. "It's a journal, it mostly has poems, a few entries. Most importantly it has an interaction between a man and Elise." he paused momentarily, "I think everyone should read it for themselves."

Then, he passed around the journal, and one by one, each member had their chance to read. I didn't look at their facial expressions as they read.

After each person was done they looked at me to start. I took a big breathe. "So, it's a question of whether, Elise was unfaithful during her time in the castle." I announced.

Everyone looked at bit uncomfortable sharing their opinions, but not Lord Robert of course. "We have all read he journal, it is clear that she was unfaithful." he said. "they signed the letters with love."

Lady Ivy seemed to disagree. "Robert, that means nothing. They could merely be friends."

"A woman has no business talking to men outside of their marriage."

Ivy looked upset but didn't comment, it seemed that Lord Edgar silenced her. Most council members nodded in agreement to Roberts statement. I also agreed with him.

"This could be very old. Look at the dates of the earlier entries. They're from years ago." Lady Ivy blurted. She obviously felt obligated to defend Elise, which showed her loyalty but was not helpful as a council member. Her husband looked shock as she spoke.

I narrowed my eyes. "The writing looks recent, plus she talks about castle walls."

Robert snarled. "The wrench needs to be hanged, she's committed treason." he growled. "We all know this is the only choice."

My heart wrenched, when Elise's execution was mentioned. Everything inside me was telling me to defend her, to protect her, but all my senses and morals agreed with Robert. Elise may be a commoner, but even they know how proper marriages work. Elise knew what she was doing, and everyone who understands the situation knows that the price is death.

At least in royal marriages.

My grandmother was executed for infidelity, many years before I was born. She was cheating on my grandfather with a stable boy. Similar with Elise, which makes me wonder why are woman interested in peasant boys when they can have kings? My grandmother was hanged for her crimes, this was before I was born.

Anyways, because of this, my father practically kept my mother on a leash. It modelled for the kingdom how a wife should act. So, even if I didn't want to execute my wife, the nobles would never let it go. I am King, but the nobles are the ones with money that I use to rule.