Chapter Six

Brenden

Yesterday, I requested a spot on the royal council. Yesterday, my request was granted and I was part of the team. However, today I went for a council meeting and our king wasn't there. I asked the other council members where he was, they responded with a no.

Apparently, he hasn't been showing up to meetings since the wedding day.

I just don't understand how he expects to find the people that captured his wife and our sister if he isn't trying. What kind of king is he?

I excused myself from the meeting, and went looking for my problematic older brother. First, I went to his art room, seeing that's where I found him yesterday with Fay. I poked my head into the room and only saw the usual mess of his artwork and supplies.

I frowned and continued my search. Next I checked his room. Nothing, but a maid that looked startle with my sudden barging.

During my search, I spotted Fay sitting in the courtyard, writing something down.

I walked up to her swiftly and sat down next to her. She paused and glanced up to look at me. Her baby blue eyes twinged with confusion, then sparkled with joy. She turned her body to face me, and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Brenden, what are you doing here?"

I moved her hand away, utterly disgusted. Fay has always been an overbearing woman, even as a child I couldn't stand her. I was originally engaged to her, when I was younger, but I begged my parents to call it off. They didn't think Brent was deserving of having a wife with such high status, he was a pain even back then. Father told me that he would arrange for me to have another wife when I'm older, but then he and my mother were killed.

I have no desire of having a wife any time soon, maybe not ever.

Fay waited patiently for my response. "I was looking for Braxton, have you seen him?" I asked.

She shook her head and her blonde locks widely flung. I nodded and started to stand up to leave, but her small hand grabbed my arm.

"Stay, brother of mine." she said with a grin. "Entertain me."

"I don't have time for this, Fay." I retorted. "This is important, you wouldn't understand."

Fay squeezed my arm and looked up at me. "Explain to me then." she pleaded. Her bright blue eyes always shining with mischievousness, full of secrets and games.

"Why? You're not on the council, you have no business of knowing." I tried my best not to snap at her. I kept my voice gentle, even if I was annoyed.

She gave me a hard glare for a few long seconds. Needed I remind you, that her soft hand was still gripping my arm. "Brenden, what have I done to deserve this much hatred from you?" she asked me.

I looked at her, I didn't understand Brent's fascination. I didn't want to upset her, but I never wanted anything to do with her. She was assigned to me from birth, so I took no interest. No wonder my brother got rid of all his betroths.

"Why don't you stay in your room until Brent gets back home?" I suggested and calmly removed her hand from me.

I ignored Fay's offended face as I started to walk away.

Imagine having Fay as a wife...

I finally found Braxton in the room that he shared with Elise. He was sitting on the bed, he looked distant as if his mind wasn't connected to his body.

I slowly walked into the room and snapped my fingers to get his attention. Braxton eyes looked at me and gave me a vicious glare. I've been dealing with my brother my entire life, his hardest stare wouldn't give me a second thought.