Broken

I took a cab back home, didn't wanted to be disturbed and yes people are being stacked in some part of Nigeria, mainly in buses, making moving and breathing hard, people's sweat, crying babies (I love them though but they're not too adorable while crying and screaming), the talkatives, the gossip squad and so on, some people even transport animals (not pets), animals like chickens, goats, sheep, you name them, to an abattoir, imagine sitting with these kind of people with a broken heart.
During my ride I reminisced the moments just few minutes ago, I'm still startled at what he said. Taking a small mirror from my purse, I started staring at myself, but I don't see no double chin or big cheeks, yes I have a round face and so does dad, it's a noticeable feature I took after him. "No one can call dad fat, not because everyone is scared of him", the truth be told he has no double chin or whatsoever, no jingling arm or pot belly though he has a little and I only think it's because of his age. "Mahmud! How could he?" Asking no one in particular, I remembered the first time we met, 7months ago, he was just a friend and when he asked me out, I declined. He started telling me his secrets, how his own parents maltreats him, all his siblings dislikes him, how he had always tried to please them with his school grades, Islamic activities and all that. I had asked him if he has any clue why they were being cruel, we were talking on phone and I heard his voice dropped.

"I still think it's about the death of my sister" he replied slowly

"What happened?" I asked nervously

"One Saturday evening, I was reading Qur'an at the living room while my sister walked in crying, after finishing the verse I dropped the Qur'an and asked her what had happened and why she was crying, she said she wasn't admitted into the university and she'd have to wait for a year, I know she had studied hard and deserved to be admitted but it's her fate, I then asked let me see her results and she said she didn't check herself and that it was her best friend Hafsat that had checked for her, she kept weeping, I tried calming her but she wouldn't stop crying, so I decided to take her shopping and buy her ice cream hence she was one ice cream freak, she had refused at first but I kept persuading her and she gave in, we went shopping immediately and I got her everything she wanted to make her happy, on our way back home, she thanked me and I was like come on we're siblings right? She then said I'm lucky to have a brother like you, you're one in a million, I'd live to never forget this, I promise. My eyes was out of the road and I didn't see the traffic light signal red, I was staring at her smiling and she was smiling back, a truck hits the car from her side, blood all over the seats, "Zainab" I screamed, holding her head, I then shook her, Zainab please stay awake, she then opened her eyes, "Ouch" she said "What's that I see in your eyes? Are your eyes leaking?" She asked with a smile, "It's not your fault Mahmud, maybe I shouldn't have been mad about not getting admitted, Allah knows best right?" She asked again, I only nodded.
"Tell everyone to forgive me as I've forgiven them too"

"Zainab please stop it, you're scaring me"

She giggled a bit and said " Mahmud have you forgotten already everything is temporary"

"Zainab dan Allah ki daina" (Zainab by the cause of Allah stop it)

"It's not just your fault, don't live blaming yourself for anything, oh look you're bleeding" she said, I touched my head and it hurts, I then checked my hand and saw blood then everything black out
I woke up in the hospital, seeing my family members. "Look he's awake" Asahd called, but no one seemed happy, it then stroke me where was Zainab
"Zainab? Where's Zainab?" I asked
"We lost her Mahmud, we've lost her" Asahd replied sadly
"Nooo! Please that's not true! Please tell me you're joking?" I asked laughing
"We don't joke wit death young man" my dad warned harshly
I didn't lose not only a sister then but my best friend. Everyone treated me different ever since, I know deeply they think it's my fault which I know is" he ended a sigh

"It's not your fault Mahmud" I had replied

"No one believes me, I should had died that day instead of her" Mahmud said more like a whisper

"I believe you and I pray Allah forgives you for having such thoughts, it wasn't anyone's fault, her time was up" I replied

"Yeah true, astagfirullah (may Allah forgive me). And I later discovered that she was actually admitted, Hafsat was April fooling her, by Allah I almost committed murder that day, how could she have pranked someone that much?" He asked no one in particular

"Subhanallah, that's why practical jokes are prohibited, that was extreme" I replied shockingly
Ever since then, I had always try to make him feel better of himself, we chatted often and I started getting fond of him. People are so unpredictable! All the promises he made, I feel a tear drop, wiping it off telling myself I would not cry. I got off the cab and went in saying Salamu alaikum!

"Wa'alaykm salam" Everyone said in unison
"How was your date?" They all asked

And here's another. Alhamdulillah I made my results. Yassss babies I did it, just yet another step to get where I'm aiming at. Hauwer loves you!