Route 6:i

*That Pre-climax Chapter

She and I cross paths in yet another library which is where my research landed me. While I read a book, there is a single pair of violet eyes staring in my direction. The girl sits in a corner of the upper level, which I had chosen for a little privacy. It has a few stools, but people don't mind sitting on the ground as seen by her. I choose to hold her gaze while walking towards her.

"Looks like fate did this after all. We meet again."

Homura looks up, her face one of desperation. The swollen eyes and flushed appearance make for a fever. I touch her forehead to be sure. It is burning.

"What are you doing here?"

"None of your business."

"I refuse to be pushed off just like that. You're running a temperature and sitting in a library. Plus those swollen eyes look like you cried all night. How is that none of my business?"

"You don't see. How about I ask you something? If you had to choose between following rules knowing that your individuality is compromised and breaking them at the cost of losing any support system you have, what would you pick?"

To anyone else, this would sound like career guidance, but really she's indirectly asking me the law vs desire question. I answer truthfully, as there is no need to do otherwise.

"I would probably be incapable of picking just one. If there is a middle path, I would opt for it. But assuming my life or that of anyone else were at stake, then I'd pick breaking the rules, there is a chance of gaining new support, but individuality lost will change the future of many for the worse. People don't know how many others they affect when they are depressed, or kill themselves. Not just those near them, but even strangers who just happen to be around feel the after effects."

I know my reply will affect her thinking, whether she likes it or not.

"I guess you've answered the same as me then. You'll know I had no choice in the matter, and would gladly turn back time if there was a better option available."

She stops speaking, as tears start pooling at the ends of the eyes. She wipes them and drags me outside. We go to the garden, the one and only.

Homura ignores the tables, making me sit on a bench next to her. She blurts out everything, from the time she contracted with Kyubey to the time I entered the scene. She asks me for my opinion on the situation.

"I cannot judge you at all, you're damn strong for being able to survive to date. What you need now is to live a life once you've got yourself figured out. Looking at the past won't help, but the future is still not set in stone. Do what you feel is right and follow your instinct."

This 'opinion/advice' may or may not have been helpful, but the expressions on her face change into that of an innocent, vulnerable child. She truly is hiding a lot underneath the stoic mask. I stick around, seeing as anything could happen if she's desperate enough to speak to a near-stranger and trust that person too. Good thing the Incubators aren't shape shifters, that would've complicated things further. For just a few moments I leave her side, saying I'll be back soon. Taking the opportunity, I call Sayaka once out of sight and tell her to come along with Mami and the others.

There is a slight gleam in Homura's eyes when I return with two ice cream cones. She takes the once with mint and strawberry, while I eat the chocolate-strawberry combo. Nobody would guess that the two pairs actually work, perks of being an ice cream lover.

"How would you guess I like mint? And the strawberry isn't too bad either in contrast."

"Lots of experience. Ice cream solves everything. Except a cold maybe."

Ever since the call, I've been looking for signs of her other form awakening, nothing so far.

Familiars surround the two of us. Me being a bit scared without any defence, I look sternly at Homura. She shrugs, they just stay there and do nothing. It's possible I'm not seen as a threat to them, seeing as their mistress doesn't think too badly of me. She confirms my thoughts.

"They won't harm you. Partly because you're invisible to them, partly because of the events of the last garden visit. If you're wondering, they won't harm Madoka either."

At that, she stiffens, appearing to look far into the distance. I follow her gaze to see Madoka. She is in her normal state and walks hurriedly in our direction, although not running.

Homura then pushes me off, telling me to run away. I manage to get a couple metres back, but am stuck while she transforms.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Mami further in Magical Girl form, not firing her guns. She's probably noticed the familiars not hurting Madoka. A little in front of her are Sayaka and Kyōko, together as if they were a back to back duo, ready to knock down any obstacle. The stage is set. Now remains the actors to play their roles, without any practice or rehearsal.

Go to 7 A