2: Wait a minute...

The moon is out— the only strong light source at this moment. I'm in a field which could have been full of greenery earlier, but looks rather bare now. While surveying the area to find out my location, I spot a pair of shoes, which is rather confusing. It would mean that someone else is out here too and is walking around barefoot. On pacing about for a while, I figure out that the area isn't a normally frequented one. Anybody out at this hour would have some serious business here.

A white cat crosses my line of vision. Scratches and wounds line its body. It looks expectant, as if it is familiar with me. I approach the cat, but stop when I hear a cackle of laughter, and it isn't the joyful kind.

    I find a path to climb down towards the source and think I've gone too far. The noise stops. I hide behind a bush, feeling watched, and look around to get to know who – or – what made the sound. I stop when I see a girl who looks ready to jump from a nearby cliff. If I tried to go up there to stop her, it'd take too long.

     Not knowing what to do, I run towards the bottom of the cliff, keeping myself hidden in the process. Attempting to calculate her odds of survival, I spot the grass around that spot and couple it with the height, which doesn't seem like more than a dozen stories or so. She'd live. Considering this universe doesn't even follow the same laws of physics as Earth, I might even be able to save her before landing.

    The plunge is taken. In a couple of seconds, I've managed to hold onto her by the hand and make us both roll just so we don't get buried by the force. It is very surprisingly successful for both of us. I hold out a hand for her to get up after regaining my own balance and composure. She stares.

    That stare could only come from one person. Homura. Taking my hand, she stands. Then after seemingly coming out of a daze, she asks me what I'm doing here.

"I just happened to be around the place. I'm new to this city and love sightseeing in the night. A whole different perspective in contrast to the day."

"Why did you bother to save me?"

I don't expect her to be grateful or anything, but it still is a bummer to be asked such a question.

"I don't like seeing death. Simple as that. You looked like you'd jump off, so I did what I could."

"Since we don't know each other yet, I'll have to thank you."

Noticing the puzzled look on my face she adds, "I'm Akemi Homura. You look a bit familiar."

    I decide not to give away my identity that quickly, taking Sayaka's warning seriously. We could meet at school later if necessary, being in the same class.

A pause. Then, "Would you join me for a walk?"

"Sure."

"I could show you around this garden."

    I nod. We walk and she points out various zones, including some stargazing spots. A couple minutes later, we stop at a tiny table with chairs around it and sit there. I can glimpse the uncertainty written on her face.

"There's something about you that bothers me."

"What is it? Am I that pretty?"

I receive a death glare. "I meant you don't seem like anyone from around here."

"That's because I'm not a Mitakihara local."

Homura lifts a kettle lying on the table and fills two glasses, handing one to me. 

 She then asks me, "Are you a person who can handle any type of information well?"

Taking a sip of what tastes like tea, I reply, "I've been in many fandoms." 

    Can an answer like that even be acceptable for such a question?

"If you say so. To begin with, this world is being enveloped in despair as we speak."

"That explains the extra darkness today."

"Have you seen any animals that aren't usually seen otherwise?"

"If you speak of white cats, then I spotted a very injured one once."

"Does it talk?"

"I wouldn't know. I could try if you'd like."

"If it does speak, then you'll know it's not an ordinary cat."

"Obviously. Cats don't talk."

"There's a race of alien beings called the Incubators. They have a silver tongue, saying they want to save the universe. Only I know the reality. That race wants to destroy our lives as humans just to apparently slow or reverse the universe's entropy. You know what that means right?"

"I know what entropy is. But couldn't they find a better option using their own species, given the fact that they're more bothered about it?"

"That's where the entire mess began. Madoka, she... She sacrificed her existence for the rest of us to have a better life. Then this damned Incubator, Kyubey decided to mess with us again. I had no choice. All I wanted was for her to have a proper life and be happy."

    She pauses, possibly waiting for me to faint in shock or something. Instead I ask her to continue.

"I stopped her and thus became this demon. Even right now, I find it difficult to have a normal conversation with the despair crushing me."

"Haven't you tried asking anyone you're close to for help?"

"Not possible. Most people will probably send me into a mental health facility or the like." Another pause. Her face contorts, then comes back to normal.

"It's getting difficult for me to control things around here. My emotions are beginning to get the better of me. I'll suggest you leave now, before I do something horrible and go out of control."

"Wait a minute..."

    She adds, "It was nice talking to you. Goodbye for now. Maybe I'll give you a sign if fate causes us to meet again."

"Bye, Homura."

    At that, I instantly land back on the bed in Mami's house. All I can tell is she's clearly mentally unstable. This place won't last long if action isn't taken soon. To top it all, only Sayaka has any idea about her and it'll be difficult to undo Mami's and Sakura's false memories, if that can even be done. My current agenda could be considered as:

Befriend Homura.

Find Kyōko.

Gain Intel from Sayaka and Madoka.

Gain Mami's trust.

Explain the entire situation to them.

Go into battle mode.

    I'm not sure whether to trust Kyubey or not, so I'll leave it out of this.