Chapter 27: Heart And Head

(Song: Heart by Sleeping at Last)

I'm short of breath
Standing next to you
I'm out of my depth
At this altitude
Like the world makes sense
From your window seat
You are beautiful
Like I've never seen

The sun creeped into the tent with an uncharacteristically low strength for a mid May sunrise, as if to not disturb the two resting Commanders, inside.
Clarke was up, however, watching Lexa sleep peacefully, a slight trepidation about the day ahead.

Clarke ran her fingers along the slightly raised skin of the tattoo on her arm and on her back. Lexa's skin erupted in goosebumps, and Lexa stirred, a slow smile spreading over her face.

"Hey, did I wake you?" Clarke rested her chin on the curve between Lexa's face and shoulder.

"Mhmm," Lexa turned to face Clarke. The sunlight hit Clarke's face at all the right angles, and her eyes sparkled in the morning light. A goofy smile spread across Lexa's face, and she traced her finger along Clarke's cheek. "I wish I had done this before."

"Done what?" Clarke asked.

"Decided to wake up with you, every single morning," Lexa replied.

"You can do it now, you know," Clarke suggested.

"Clarke, about that..." Lexa shifted her eyes.

"I know Lexa. I know what awaits us outside this tent. But just let me be with Lexa for sometime, ok? Before I have to face the Commander," Clarke said.

Lexa nodded in agreement, "I love you, you know. No matter what. I, Alexandria, will always love you."

Clarke searched Lexa's dark green eyes, and saw nothing but earnestness and adoration. "I know, Lexa. And I love you."

"You've to tell me that when you're drunk, once. You're a hilarious drunk," Lexa chuckled.

"Hey, in my defense, you were hung up on Costia," Clarke pouted, teasingly.

"I love, Costia. And I always will. She has been with me throughout, and I will always be indebted to her for being there with me. It's just not the same as you," Lexa said.

"I know," Clarke in turn cupped Lexa's face in her hands. She knew Lexa had loved Costia, and she wasn't going to ever undermine that. In the war torn world that was theirs, she knew by now how hard any form of love was to come by. "And that's why I respect you even more, Lex. That even after everything, you have such a beautiful heart with such am immense capacity to love."

Lexa smiled,"I love you, Clarke Griffin. I've been in love before, but with you, I want to do more than just survive. You make me want to live. You challenge me. You're my equal. And I love that. That you are your person. You have taught me how to overcome this hatred of all the blood on my hand..."

"We both have blood on our hands, Lexa. Atleast we can be there to hold each other's bloody hands while we're at that..."

"I don't want to leave this tent," Lexa half sighed, half groaned.

"We don't have to right away, you know," Clarke grinned at her, her eyes dancing mischievously.

Lexa grinned in response as Clarke scooted closer to her and climbed on top of her, tilting her head slightly to keep the golden blonde hair off Lexa's face.

"What's the plan?" Lexa asked her, smiling.

Clarke sank down for a searing kiss, her hand snaking between the covers, feeling the smooth curves of the girl beneath her. As Clarke's mouth traveled from her lips to her neck, Lexa moaned in pleasure, "Mmhmm...I like this plan".