04 | emergencies & coffee dates

Start bij het begin

"Aw, I love you too," I cooed and winked at her. To my surprise, I saw Julia blush. Maybe it was a trick of the light or maybe I was just stressed out recently and seeing things, ha.

"Leave, before you end up being late," Julia shooed me away and I nodded and left through the door.

Julia Edwards acted like a mother. She always had. I had met Julia a year back at her flourishing cafe. Cafe Edwardico. I had moved newly to Province No. 23 of Androsia and this homeless girl, who had left home to be independent, just wanted a piece of cake and some frappe before she searched for another home there.

Julia helped me around the area and to get used to it. She even let me into her home under the condition that I'd help her run the house and pay the bills. Julia Edwards was a complete sweetheart to an absolute stranger and for her hospitality and her kindness, I will always be grateful to her.

Julia Edwards was my saviour since then and that encounter at her cafe was my blessing.

════════════════

"CAN SOMEONE HELP this man here?" I heard a scream from the entrance of the Ambrosia National Hospital. I quickly rushed only to see a young man with his arms tightly around a wounded man, supporting his weight.

The young man looked extremely worried about the injured man. His satin white shirt was stained with the blood from the wounds of the injured man. The young man definitely did not look like an Ambrosian, and so it was sheer wonder how this injured man met with his wounds thanks to this foreigner.

"We have a casualty here. Quick," I yelled out and few nurses rushed in quickly with a bed. Efficiency and alertness was definitely the key for Ambrosia National Hospital. We in fact, were made to repeat this over and over again when we joined here.

With the help of the foreigner, the nurses laid the injured man on the bed and pushed him to the casualty care room. I ordered them to set everything up and they left. My attention was back on the young foreigner.

"Please do fill in the forms and pay the bills, sir," I requested. The receptionist looked up at me and I nodded politely. I pointed to the reception and told, "The billing will be done there. You're free to sit at the lounge room, if you may, sir."

Before he could respond, I smiled courteously and took my leave to go to the casualty care room to attend to the patient. I could feel the young man raise his eyebrow at me, amused and watch me leave intently.

Kurt, the injured man whose name I found out from him himself before he fainted at the sight of blood dripping from his forehead, was not in a critical condition. All he needed was few stitches in his forehead and a sling to let his fractured hand heal itself back to normalcy and perfect condition.

As I stitched him up with the help of few nurses who had given him his anaesthetics, the stranger stood by me and watched me do my work. I really did appreciate the fact that he maintained his silence and let me do my work in peace.

Carefully watching me stitch him up, probably with a lot of remorse, he furrowed his eyebrows and did not bat an eyelid. In an hour or so, I was done with the stitching and the man was still unconscious. The nurses fixed his hand up into a sling. I went to the nearest washbasin and washed my hands and disposed my gloves.