Chapter 4: A New Beginning

Carnage

Comment

Vote

Other Such Stuff

Chapter Four

 As far as impossible tasks go, this one took the lead in ludicruity. At the time, it felt a good idea, a way to catch Junuis' atention and subsequently save their lives, but now, months later, it seemed it was the worst idea Arie ever had. When they arrived in Rome, accompanied by an eager Junius, they purchased an old domus on the verge of ruin. It was on the outskirts of Rome between Quirinal and Viminal hills, surrounded by blocks of apartments, near Augustus' forum. The domus was more large than it was beautiful, although this changed when they began renovating, and had a more traditional arrangement compared to Junius' house. Many of the previous deceased owner's furniture and artifacts were still in place including a large hearth in the atrium and lectus genialis .

 Nadu took charge immediately and relegated Arie back to a mere servant.

 "Junius made a valid point," she had said apologetic, "I should exude authority if I have any chance of convincing any one."

Junius smiled widely but said nothing and made no other sign he agreed to this treatment but his eyes betrayed him. Arie knew he had taken the proposal seriously but her mind was pre-occupied with fear that they would be discovered again. This time it became more clear what he had planned to do. Left with no other choice, Arie spent weeks leading the renovation of the house, using up money Junius had given her to buy paint and hire architects and painters. It was obvious that her every move was being watched so when she left the house and went to the Forum, she would spend more time there than was needed. The stench of the streets, despite Arie hearing various mentions of a type drainage system, was something she preferred over the sneer Junius had on his face whenever he caught sight of her. 

 Arie would watch the two of them earnestly and very inconspicuously to avoid drawing Nadu's ire but whatever pieces of conversation she heard were too random to put together a clear picture of what they were planning. It was very frustrating to watch Nadu treat Junius as an equal, seeing how often she asked for his opinion on even the most mundane things which he gave with all the assuredness of someone who came by a large pile of gold. 

 Junuis' growing influence was not the only thing on her mind. The king would not give up so easily now that Nadu is in the Roman empire. The former king Phraate's past mistake can and, she fears, will make Nadu seem like a rival rather than a small nuisance. Every decision made since the group left Pompeii in the dead of the night seemed to be geared towards destruction. They were situated in the most populated part of the city and went on to make their presence known as soon as they moved in. Anyone can attack them from any direction and they would be none the wiser. Nadu, and by extension Junius, did not care at all. The previous night Arie overheard them talking about plans to host some senators.

 The house was close to being completely refurbished. Walls that had been peeling from the onslaught of rain and snow were restored to their original colour and state by students of Arellius' disciples. Junius lamented the chance to get one of the disciples themselves as it would have given them more attention and regard. To further spite him, she called Servius Padius, a lowly painter who is more renowned for his drunken antics than his skill, to restore and make new frescos. Surprisingly, as she had hoped the opposite, he did a decent enough job all the while stinking of cheap wine. 

 "That man is a drunk. There are better and more well known painters and you chose him."Junius spat.

 "I was told he is more than competent," Arie replied, stepping around him to look at the selection of vases some of the slaves had held out for her.

 "And when you saw him, you are telling me you still had the perception that he is, as you put it, competent?"

 "I have learnt to judge by merit," Arie answered. "As I recall, you had no idea who Nadu really was until I told you. He has done a good job-"

She was cut off by Junius placing his hand on his shoulder, his thumbs drawing circles on her exposed skin. Griting her teeth, she shook him off pretending to care more about the pocelain than ever before. 

 "It does not matter how the paintings look." he said coming close to her face. "What matters is who walks in through that," he pointed at the fauces, "into this house. That is how they measure your worth. Remember that, silly girl."

 As much as it irked her, Arie agreed to find more suitable workers. The gardener she had found for the peristylium had helped with the construction of some of the domi in the city. The garden itself was over-run by weeds that were wilting away due to the summer heat, there was wild ivy covering the walls and pillars. Statuette of Athena and Apollo were found half buried in the soil along with a broken dining table. Only a chipped marble fountain standing in the middle was salvageable. Although the well beneath it was almost completely dry, it had been saved from whoever looted the place. During the time of the day that he would work, the man, named Luicuis Mavaro, had requested that the entire peristyle be vacated with the exception of a few slaves to help with the manual work. Luicuis had recommended an architect who would fix the aqua ducts below the atrium and the issues with the rafters above. Junuis had brought the man himself after an afternoon with Nadu in the garden of Sallust on the other side of the Quirinal hill. 

 Arie spent that time near Mars' temple, a small structure that had very little activity so for most part she was alone, thinking. Junius had sold a large portion of the vineyard for he had a few thousand acres left, together with the gold he had been given by the King's men and a dozen slaves, and left Pompeii them. At the very least he had entertained the thought they might fail since there was quite a bit left behind for him to return to but Arie did not know where the failure might come from, how it would come to be and how he planned to counter it. 

 Ideally, there would be no reason to fear Junius; he had money and was offering security and advice. However, he had initially sold their whereabouts to the first people who came looking. His main aim is therefore to earn money to foster the lifestyle he lived as a child making him the worst kind of ally. The princess had been docile to his whims, and yet she gave very serious thought about becoming Queen. Whoever helps the queen ascend the throne stands to gain the most. Inversely, whoever stands with the princess if she fails would also lose the most. In the middle of her mulling, a thought struck her. Junius had once joked about every one bringing extra pieces themselves into the gambling houses in case they ever stand a chance to lose big. She has to find out what his contingency plan would be.