Chapter 1 Joshua

Chapter 1 Joshua

"Joshua! Joshua! Joshua!" The crowd chanted as I faced my opponent. He was a huge hulk of muscle, who favored a mace over the traditional sword. If I won this match I would win the championship. If I lost, I'd probably be broken as most of this man's opponents were. I readied my sword and shield, and prepared to take him on. He swung his mace towards me, and I ducked under it, slashing at his torso. He moved lightning fast, easily blocking my strike. How did he move so fast? I wondered. We exchanged blows, which were quickly wearing us both down. I lunged towards him, but tripped over a rock, landing on my back. I threw my shield in between us as his mace came down.

"So what are you going to do during break, Joshua?" Evan asked me, snapping me out of my daydream.

"He's probably going to flirt with all those beautiful village women all break." Damien joked. We laughed and I leaned back into my chair, preparing myself for another one of Damien's jokes.

"Joshua is the biggest ladiesman I know." Damien continued laughingly. I sighed and thought of the bad luck I had with women. Sure I've had a few girlfriends, but nothing really substantial.

"But what are you actually going to do with a few months away from the academy?" Evan continued.

"I don't know," I replied, "I'll probably do some work on the family farm, maybe teach my younger brothers some swordplay. Maybe show them some discipline." I said, smiling at the thought of my family.

"You both should come visit my family, maybe spend a few weeks in luxury." Evan offered.

          I considered his offer. The Hoff House was one of the more prominent of the noble houses. Luxury was an understatement. Great food, soft bed, and a few nights out on the town, what could go wrong?

"I'll think about it," I said, "It would definitely be worth the trip."

"Count me in." Damien said.

"We'd better get ready for class." I reminded them. "We don't want to be late on our last day."

          I stood up and started to put on my armor. Unlike most of the academy, who chose heavier iron or steel armor, I had favored light leather armor. I believed in being quick on my feet rather than being encumbered and slowed down. After fastening my straps, I buckled my belt and sheathed my sword at my waist. I had once considered wearing my swords on my back like the elves, but had chosen against it. I threw my shield across my back and sat down to mentally prepare myself for training. I remembered my first day of the academy, and the day that I had met Evan.

          It was a hot summer day and I was sitting in the shade of the fortress that seemed to stretch to the sky. I can remember wondering to myself how such a large building made of stone could support itself.

"Hey you! Serving boy!" one of the nobles shouted at me, "Fetch me some water!"

          My hands tightened into fists as I could tell he knew that I was no servant.

"Of course my lord." I replied feigning obedience. I grabbed his pitcher and walked towards the well.  As I raised the bucket, my back burned, sweltering in the heat.

"Here." I said walking into the shade. I stumbled over a rock and splashed water all over him.

"Oops, sorry my lord, I'm pretty clumsy." I told him. As his face turned red with anger, I saw a fair-faced, blue-eyed, blond haired noble barely containing his laughter. I could tell that unlike the rest of the noblemen here, he might be worth talking to. The red-faced noble walked menacing forward.