Prologue

"Who are you?" His eyes were more focused on her than the task of picking up the tossed about papers scattering the floor bumping into each other had caused. There was a pleasant, almost rueful smile on his face and his eyes studied her as if he was curious to know more about her.

She decided that couldn't be; no one was ever curious about her—least of all men—for any reason. Looking back at what suddenly seemed to be a million pieces of paper and post-it notes, she concentrated on collecting the white sheets of paper. The faster she got it done the faster she would be out of there.

They worked quietly, his eyes studying her, silently asking questions as loud as if he spoken them out loud. Could he stop it already?! What kind of freak was he?!

Reaching for what she hoped was the last sheet of paper at the same time as him, their fingers brushed and she jerked her hand back the touch feeling like a kiss from a flaming flame.

Her eyes flickered up wards to meet his, terrified of what she would see yet unable to stop herself from finding out what his face looked like. The man was smiling at her.

"Who are you?" He asked again. How did he manage to sound so honest and sincere? Like he really wanted to know. It angered her that her mind was playing tricks on her all because of a pretty face and a helping hand.

"I'm nothing." She said with a cold hard voice as she backed away slowly, afraid that if she turned her back on him he would do something worse, like touch her. "I'm nothing." She reiterated a little louder this time. Jerking the papers out of his hand—not caring one way or another if she hurt him—she stormed off, leaving him staring after her like it was important, like she was of significance.

Luckily, she knew better. She never mattered.

She was the nothing girl.