Chapter 3 -Tranquility, Chaos, and Humanity-

Wearing his Big Hat and a short black cotton trench coat, Big Hat Ryan puts his hands in his pockets and finds himself walking down the streets of his kingdom. The busy people go about their own business in shopping or running shops themselves. He just takes in the light and tranquility of the day all while feeling troubled by Richard's betrayal. They had been friends for nearly ten years. He met Richard in a pit near the depths of hell. He had been there to try to take out the boss that had forced demons unto the people of his town. He wanted to save his people from another attack by taking out the boss himself. Richard was strong and an adept user of the ultra-great sword. He had skill and his cause was right. Nonetheless, he was being pushed back by the boss. From the cliff above Big Hat Ryan watched as he fought, not once losing will, despite being battered and bloody. The situation was hopeless for him, but he wanted so badly to save his people. Big Hat Ryan was inspired by this and perhaps saw himself in him, so he jumped down and slew the boss for him. Big Hat Ryan returned with Richard to his hometown and gave even gave him credit, but Richard sought the power to protect his people and as such sought training from Big Hat Ryan, and, during which, they formed a strong friendship as they traveled the lands together to train.

To think that a man so just and that he knew so well, a man that he trusted with his life, would betray him just like that. It seemed unreal.

Soon after Big Hat Ryan found himself in a park. It was a project he had headed himself. It gave jobs to the homeless and destitute, all while providing a recreational area to the people. Big Hat Ryan took a seat on a bench under the shade of a tree while watching the kids play in the grassy field ahead.

"Do you mind if I sit here with you?" a voice asks. Big Hat Ryan raises his downcast and finds an old man with a cane.

"Go ahead." Big Hat Ryan scoots over to allow room for him.

"It sure is a nice day, yet you seemed to be troubled. Why is that?"

"A long-time friend has just told me of his betrayal. I'd trusted him for so long, and this is . . . I don't know . . . just devastating I guess." Big Hat Ryan places his forearms atop his thighs and looks down in despair once more.

"When I was a boy my hero was someone who went to great lengths to help his people and provide the ideal kingdom. He saw the good in people and didn't despise them for their humanity."

"What a good guy," Big Hat Ryan says.

"Maybe you should be like him. People always do things for a reason don't they? No one is innately evil."

"I don't know about that? I've met some pretty nasty people in my time."

The old man gets up from the bench and presses the handle of his cane against the chest of Big Hat Ryan. It was the metallic hilt of a magic sword. For a second even it glowed red. "But only humans can judge whether something is wrong or right. They'll almost always do what is right in their hearts. Those values don't change overnight. It's up to the friends of people to bring them back when they're lost."

Looking into the familiar eyes of the old man, he gets up and pats him on the shoulder before thanking him and taking off. "Thanks kid."