Chapter No. 23: Remember me?

Chapter No 23: Remember me?

I kept my eyes on my the floor and tried to focus on a strut walk. People were passing by me without focusing on me like they didn't know me. I recognized many faces who went to the party that had ripped my self esteem to shreds. I went straight to my history class.

My wobbly legs only furthered my uneasiness, but I still managed to stand tall before the whole class. I remembered all of them, and their squinted eyes towards me told me that they were trying to do the same.

Did my eyes deceive me? I thought as I noticed something strange. Selena was sitting all alone without any guy or her any of her friends. Her clothes were simple and so was her makeup. On the other hand, I saw a guy sitting in the corner with headphones and hoodie. It took me longer than I expected to realize that he was Austin.

I was not the only one who went through some changes.

I was consumed by hatred as I looked at them and my heart was telling me to create a scene. But, I was waiting for one person. I was waiting for Emily. I wanted them to feel the exact same pain I went through, no, worse. I wanted her to feel how easily words and actions can hurt others. She was my best friend, and she was who broke my trust and self esteem.

Before anyone could notice me, I sat in my usual seat in the front. Within a few minutes, a group of girls entered in the class and one of them was Emily. She looked so different compared to the way she used to be. Her hair was honey blonde and she seemed like she got some lip fillers too. Beside all of her little upgrades, she also had her wannabe followers. I rolled my eyes in disgust, remembering why I hated her.

Only one person was missing. Lewis. The person I was most nervous to face. I was not sure how he was going to react and how I would stay calm. The kiss between Emily and Lewis revolved around my eyes.

I took a deep breath and I closed my eyes for a second to calm myself. As I opened my eyes, I unexpectedly found someone staring at me. Lewis was standing tall and looking fixedly at me with his piercing ocean blue eyes. I quickly gazed back at him, but then directed my eyes to the floor. After a few seconds of uninterrupted staring, his bag fell on the floor, but he didn't seem interested in picking his bag from the ground as his eyes were still glued to me. First, he looked at me with wide opened eyes and then he raised his beautifully framed eyebrows. I didn't try to take a glimpse of his eyes, because I knew it would only make my heart speed up, and at this point I was not in the condition to lose control. Like others, he was trying to recognize the new me. Before he could speak a word, Mr. Stuart walked in the class and told everyone to settle down.

My God! That was close.

I took another long, deep breath to calm myself.Mr. Stuart welcomed everyone to the class and started the roll call. I was absent for one whole month from the school and I knew had missed many important tests and classes, and if I don't make them up soon, they might affect my grades.

''Anna, Anna Wendroff?''

Hearing my name snapped me out of my thoughts. Before I could respond to him, Tina answered him.

''Mr. Stuart, why you always call her name, she has left the school and she will never-''

'I'm here,'' I said with a high pitched voice, controlling the shakiness in my voice. My main aim was to make everyone attentive of my presence. From the countless raised eyebrows and endless whispering, I could tell that I pretty much nailed it. They should have known that the girl they bullied was back, regardless of all the hardships they put me through.

''Silence, please.'' he said loudly and after a second or two everyone was quiet. ''And welcome back, Anna,''

''Thanks, Mr. Stuart.''