The One Who Observed

Three Years Later

She walked across the empty field with the faintest smile. She was beautiful. She was graceful. She was kind. She was deadly. She was like this puzzle he could never solve. He was always there watching her from afar, wondering who she actually was inside. He already knew that she was sad inside because he was the only one who cared enough to want to know her. He didn't even know her name. 

Most people bullied her because of her silence, but he didn't. He stood by and watched as girls scratched and slapped the one he wanted to know most. Guys would punch her or push her to the ground as the girls took care of her. Others would just watch. He was a watcher. Everyday he old himself he would intervene, but to no avail. Every time he found the courage, he would either be held back by his friends who were also stand bys or lost the courage when he was about to speak. 

As his friend joined him next to the tree as he sketched, he asked, "Soohyun, what do you think she's like?"

"Wow. Thanks Kev. No hello, or hey, or what's up? Anyway, it depends. Who are you talking about? Wait. Don't answer that. Just leave her alone. She's just a loner mute girl. She's not worth it. If you talk to her, you'll go down too. You're already the prince of the school. You have everyone wrapped around your finger. Why her?" his friend replied. 

"Simple. It's because she's unique. Plus, it's not like I love her. I'm just curious. She's at the top of our class, she's going to one of the best universities in the world next year, and we don't even know how she can even afford attending our school, let alone her name. She's like this mystery that I will never be able to solve," Kevin replied as he got up. 

He was done with his sketch and the girl already left minutes ago. As he watched her, he sketched a picture of a girl with a flower crown and a white sun dress kneeling in front of a cherry blossom tree and crying. In front of her were two crosses like you see on the side of the road as memorials for those who got into car accidents. Small petals were floating through the air. He wasn't sure why he made it, or who the girl was. Something inside of Kevin just drove him to sketch it.

No one at school really knew about his obsession with the mysterious girl that they bully on a daily basis, let alone his love for drawing. No one knew much about him except for the fact that he was nice to everyone and he was the prince. Honestly, Kevin hated the title, but dealt with it and smiled anyway. 

On his way home, he continued to think about the girl and what she was like. He was hooked. She was like his drug. The only time he didn't think of her was during classes and when he went to sleep at night.  Kevin was curious, and he knew it.