Cold and useless

Evelyn was cold.

The grey air of the early morning clung to her skin through her businesslike suit, making her shiver in her black stilettos.

Travis had disappeared off with her car, there was still no sound or sign of Nick, and her imagination was beginning to get the better of her.

Then again, growing up in a world of demons and monsters, that instinctual rabbit fear wasn't as stupid as others might believe.

She had to get into that house, one way or another.
Rachel's life depended on it, for a start.
And then there was other stuff.
Stuff that could be dangerous.

"And now Evelyn," she muttered to herself, gaining a little comfort from hearing her own voice. "... this is why when you separate from the Clave and go 'underground' to do your 'mad science' in peace, you pick some boring little studio or something that stays under the radar. Oh, God, it's all going so bad!"

She glares down at her stiletto shoes, tapping the pointed toes frustratedly on the pavement.

Time ticked by.

God, she wished she had a stele. Would have saved all this trouble.
Hadn't used one in roughly sixteen- seventeen- eighteen or so years, and hadn't wanted to until now.
Every second was crucial to Rachel, to the family, and Evelyn had to help.
She wanted to help.
She chose to help.

And right now, she couldn't help.

"God, Travis, where are you?"

Other than a stele, she wanted a second phone. She wanted to call Travis, check where he'd gotten to, but she couldn't do that without hanging up on Nick, and sods law said that would be the moment he replied.

Once more, she turned to the gate.
"Let's face it, Nick's obviously in trouble. And you're talking to yourself. That's not weird at all."

Shrugging, she set about once again looking for another way in.

Sorry if it's not so interesting, but it's building up.