Chapter 3

My hands kept sweating as I assumed a stance. The wooden handle of the sword was smooth, and I had to grip it tightly to keep it from sliding from my palm.

The broadsword guy, who I decided to call Broad in my mind for the convenience, was still smiling confidently. But I could see that he was unnerved both by my concealed appearance and the fact that I was receiving attention from the greatest fighter of all.

"Start!" I heard one of knights yell, and I didn't wait. I slipped my foot forwards, and decided to use my speed to defeat Broad.

I pretended to go for his head, and he ducked before I could reach it. Newbie mistake.

I swiftly brought my sword downwards, but Broad wasn't as much of a newbie as I originally thought, for he had his broadsword up in time to block my blow that would've ended the match.

Luckily for me, I wasn't the type who played fair. Playing fair didn't save lives.

I brought my knee up to his face casually, and since he was basically crouching, I had no trouble sending him to he ground with a yell of pain from his side.

A small smile danced on my face as he attempted to recollect himself- he wasn't used to blocking things that weren't swords.

"Swords only for you." I heard Darky say as I was about to kick the poor soul again, and I stopped with a sigh.

"Fine." I reply, and I could see the obvious relief in Broad's eyes as he sprang to his feet.

But I had roughly ten years of experience more than him, and I was the most powerful being in the land when I was younger than him.

When he was up on his feet, he had his sword limply by his side and the tip of mine touching his throat.

His eyes were enveloped in fear, disappointment and anger.

"He's better than the most. He shouldn't be disqualified." I said, speaking to Darky.

"That would be breaking the rules." He spoke coldly as I removed my sword from Broad, facing Darky instead.

If we were to have our eyes uncovered, they would've met.

"Rules are meant to be broken." I said, raising my eyebrow.

"Not by you. He is disqualified." He spoke, and I snort quietly. I expected nothing less. He wanted to let me know he was in charge, not me. I was sure that in my current position, he could kill me easily, so I did not challenge him further. I nodded instead, soothing my hurt pride as I gave in.

I had a mission, and I couldn't allow my pride to stop me from completing it.

Broad was already walking away, and I almost felt bad for him, but another opponent approached me.

This was going to be boring.

***

I had a single drop of sweat on my forehead by the time I knocked my last opponent's sword out of their grip.

"Finally." I muttered, turning around to face the knights with a bow. They were obviously impressed.

Except for Blacky, of course, he was expressionless. Obviously, since a helmet covered his face.

The twenty of us that were left were all smiling happily, and I felt my heart trying to beat out of my chest. I did it.

That's one part of the plan down. Two to go.

Step one: become his apprentice

Step two: get close to him

Step three: kill him