Chapter 3: Selfish Machines

Tony's POV

I made my way back up the block to my apartment complex, coffee in hand. I took a sip of the coffee, the heat stinging my throat. The barista seemed to be acting really strange, I thought that she might have been a fan. She seemed so familiar, like I knew her. She had the most beautiful blue eyes, they just made me smile like an idiot when I saw them. I remember someone elses eyes used to make me do the same thing... Braxton.

Fuck, I was such an idiot! I thought it was her, but now I knew. I remembered her face all too well. Something looked different in her, though. I couldn't quite tell what it was. She seemed frightened when she saw me. Did she remember me? She had to. She was my best friend for my whole childhood, how could she forget someone like that, who shared those memories with you?

I turned around and booked it back to the coffee shop, hoping she was still there. When I walked in, the warm smell of coffee beans filled my nose. I looked around the fairly empty room, seeing if she ws there. I walked up to the cash register, but a different woman was standing there. 

"Can I help you, honey?" A sweet elderly black woman asked me.

"Uh, yeah," I stammered. "Is Braxton here?" 

The old lady furrowed her brows. "No, sweetie. She just left," she looked down at her hands and shook her head solemnly. "She should be working tomorrow dear, if that helps." 

I sighed and nodded. "Okay, thank you so much!" I beamed at the woman, which seemed to make her happy. "Have a nice day!" I waved. I opened the door and walked out on the street. It was a chilly day in San Diego, and the hot coffee was just what I needed. I started my trek back to my place, trying to set a plan of action for the following day. I was determined to get my best friend back.

Braxton's POV

I started my walk back to my apartment. It was about a ten minute walk from the coffee shop. I was still shaking, unsure why. Yes, I was a little scared to go home, but I had no choice. I knew Mason would be waiting for me, and he was going to find something new to punish me for.

I walked in the door, trying to put on a brave face. "Braxton! Where the hell have you been?" Mason screamed from the kitchen. 

"Work," I said. I slowly walked toward the kitchen, afraid of what I had coming.

Mason gritted his teeth and sneered at me. "I know you were at work, which ends at 5. It's no longer than a 10 minute walk, and right now," he points to the clock on the stove, "It's quarter after." He gave me no chance to explain. He wound up his fist and punched me in the ribs. 

I let out the only breath I could manage. I started wheezing, trying to catch my breath. 

"What the fuck did you just say to me?" Mason demanded.

"Nothin--" I tried.

This time he slapped me across the face. He continued to beat me for several more minutes until he threw me to the ground one final time. Then he announced: "I'm going to the bar. Don't leave this apartment, and don't wait up. No ordering food, either." He ordered.

I nodded as he stormed out the door.

I know it wasn't a healthy relationship to be in, but I had nowhere else to go. When we first began dating, it was great. It got my mind off Tony, who just got up and left without saying goodbye. In the early days, we were happy and a cute couple. One night, when we were out at a bar, he noticed I was getting slightly friendly with the bartender. From that night on, he thought I was a whore. He thought I was going to leave him. He started beating me almost daily, and I threatened to leave so many times. He told me if I did, he would kill me. I coudln't call the police, either. Mason had too many friends from his "gang" every where. In every state. If Mason ever got locked up, they would go after me. I had no choice but to stay with him, because without him, I'd be homeless. He was willing to let me live with him, as long as I followed his orders. This meant I had to follow Mason's schedule. 

I hadn't eaten in days, but I didn't really care. All I could think about was Tony. I started to remember everything i had buried for so many years, and then everything went black.