Return of a Gunslinger (A Laramie Fanfiction)

Disclaimer: I do not own the cover picture or any of the characters of Laramie. They belong to John C. Champion and associates.

"Another drink, Jess?" the bartender asked.

"Nah, I've got to be gettin' back to Laramie." Jess Harper sighed contentedly and put his money on the counter.

"Safe travels, Jess. It was nice to be seein' ya 'round these parts again," the bartender replied, tucking the money safely inside his breast pocket.

Jess secured his black cowboy hat on his head and stood. "I can't say when I'll be back in Cheyenne again, but I'm bound to be back sometime." The bartender nodded pleasantly and gathered up Jess's empty glass. Jess walked outside and mounted his horse, Traveler, and was just about ready to ride off when someone approached him.

"Jess! Jess! Wait up!"

"Charlie? Is that you?" Jess asked, peering curiously from beneath the brim of his hat.

"Sure is, Jess," Charlie said with a smile. "I'd heard you were in town. I was hopin' to catch you before you left."

Jess studied the man as he spoke. He looked much older than he had when they had last crossed paths. His once blond hair was now more gray than not, and the dimples that had once been prevalent on his face were now replaced with wrinkles. "What is it, Charlie? Is somethin' wrong?"

"Well, not yet. But it could be."

Jess shifted nervously in his saddle. "What do ya mean?" he asked, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Charlie leaned in real close and whispered, "You ever heard of a man named Jacob Jarvis?"

"Yeah, I've heard of him," he said suspiciously.

"Well, his land's right next to mine, and recently he's been tryin' to get me to sell. Ya know my land's nothin' special, Jess, but it's home. It's all I have. I think that he might try to run me off."

"Run you off? Have you spoken to the sheriff?"

"I couldn't! I just couldn't! You've heard all the stories about Jarvis. Every crooked thing done in these parts has been his doing. But there ain't nobody who can prove it, cuz he's a real clever man, and he has a bunch of hired men to do his dirty work."

"Yeah, I've heard those stories."

"So, will you help me, Jess?"

"Look, I've got to get back to Laramie. Slim'll be wondering where I am. But I'll come back and help you just as soon as I can."

"Thank you, Jess. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, Charlie. I'll be seein' ya." He gave the reins a quick flick and started down the street.

"Jess!"

Jess stopped and turned around in his saddle, "Somethin' else botherin' ya, Charlie?"

"No, I just wanted to let you know to use the other road. All this rain has the river swollen. You'd best go the long way down by South Greeley to get to Laramie."

"South Greeley? I haven't been down that way in years. Alright, thanks. Bye now." He wheeled his horse around and headed in the opposite direction towards South Greeley.

Soon the sun hid behind the clouds, and the rain started to come down. Jess turned up his coat collar and hurried on. Dadgummit, this storm is just what I need! I think we're real close to the town of South Greeley, but it's been awhile. I'm not too sure of the way. He reached a fork in the road. Which way is it?