Two;

I kind of messed around with the order of this episode, but I had to to work Scarlet into the story.

~

I heard my alarm beeping by my head and Lily groaning at the loud sound. She reached over my body and slammed her palm against it. She and I had gone to sleep not long after we got back home, but that was almost eleven o’clock. We were almost the same person when we woke up, cranky and bitchy. There was a reason that we were best friends, we were practically the same person.

“There is no way summer’s already over, it went by way too fast. Like, June was yesterday I’m pretty sure,” she complained as we made our way downstairs for breakfast. “I don’t know how it’s already freakin’ August.”

We ate some cereal and slowly came back to life after our brief sleep. Getting ready in the only bathroom in the house was always an adventure considering how small it was. We brushed our teeth quickly before I plugged in my wand. A few minutes later I heard Scott swear loudly and knew he touched it. I laughed from my bedroom where Lily and I were getting dressed.

“I plug that in almost every morning, even during the summer! You think you’d realize not to touch it after the first seven times you burned yourself, but you had to make it an even eight,” I shouted back, tucking my shirt into my skirt.

I bumped him over with my hip so I could start on my makeup. I was putting on mascara when he finished brushing his teeth and went back to his room to grab his things. Lily quickly took his place and we did our makeup, we’d had plenty of mornings like this one together.

“I have to stop and get gas this morning so we’d better head out now,” she said as she finished her hair. “I’d hate to be late for the first day of our junior year.”

We grabbed our backpacks and headed out to her Camry. Stiles’ Jeep was parked in the driveway, his engine idling as he waited for me to come outside. I gestured for Lily to go on as I climbed into the Jeep with him. I saw her waving at us before pulling out of the drive with Scott not far behind her on his dirt bike.

“I’m sorry for being a total douche to you last night. I guess I was wound up because of the deer thing,” he apologized, handing me a coffee. “I got your favorite coffee as a peace offering. Do you still hate me?”

“I could never hate you, idiot,” I smiled as we drove to school. “I can really dislike you, but I could never hate you.”

~

I found Lily as soon as Stiles and I got to school and we made our way to our lockers. She eyed the coffee cup in my hand knowingly, but she didn’t call me out on it. I’m sure she knew who got it for me and she was waiting for the perfect time to call me out on it. We walked into our first class together, physics, and sat down at a table together.

I groaned when I saw Mr. Harris standing behind his desk at the front of the classroom. He hated my brother so, by association, he hated me. I actually did well in all of his classes, but it didn’t matter much to him. I always found peace in the fact that he hated Stiles more than me, it was always good to not be the most hated student in the world.

“Miss McCall, you’re in my advanced physics class? Hmm,” he asked in shock when his eyes met mine. Then he turned to Lily and said, “I expected Miss Trent to be here, but not you.”

I rolled my eyes at his answer and tried my best to not respond snidely to him like I wanted to. Instead I listened to him lecture us on the principles of physics and took notes just in case I had to miss more school because of werewolf stuff. I didn’t want to fall behind and give Harris a reason to fail me. I wanted to make him look stupid for telling me I didn’t belong in this class.

He was deep into the lecture when I heard screaming from the classroom across from us. That was the classroom that Scott, Stiles, Allison, and Lydia were all in. I jumped up and ran over to the classroom, ignoring Mr. Harris’ shouts to me, and looked inside.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, it was chaos. Blackbirds were flying into the classroom straight through the smashed window. They weren’t attacking the students on purpose, they were trying to hit the walls. It was almost like they were trying to commit suicide or something… It was almost like that deer last night, which didn’t make any sense what so ever. I didn’t think animals could commit suicide.

I looked around the classroom and saw Allison crouched in the corner with Lydia and Stiles. I winced when I saw Stiles covering Lydia’s body with his underneath the desk. He had Allison under him, too, but I could tell that he was trying to protect Lydia more.

I looked around the entire classroom but couldn’t find Scott. Fear coursed through my body icily, and I pulled out my phone to call him. It went straight to his voicemail and my fear grew stronger, where was he? I dialed Sherriff Stilinski’s number next to report the birds. I didn’t know if the cops were necessarily the right call, but it couldn’t hurt, right?

“Miss McCall, get back into my classroom and put that phone away right now,” Mr. Harris shouted at me from the door of his classroom.

“Mr. Harris, there are birds flying into the classroom over there,” I said, jarring out of my paralysis and opening the door after all the birds seemed to be dead on the floor. “What’s going on in here?”

“Scar,” Allison said, jumping up and running over to me, “Are you okay? Did this happen in other classrooms?”

“No, I heard screams and the McCall blood kicked in. I had to come make sure everyone was okay,” I replied as Lydia and Stiles walked up to us. “Are you guys okay?”

“Everything’s fine in here, just a bunch of dead birds,” Stiles answered. “I should probably call my dad.”

“I already did that, I figured it was the best thing to do,” I said sheepishly, looking down at my feet. “Sorry I stole your thunder, Stiles.”

“Do you know why Scott left? The principal just came in and got him without any questions,” he asked after Lydia and Allison walked away from us.

I raised my eyebrows and crossed my arms over my chest. “No, I called him before I called your dad, but it went straight to his voicemail and I’m freaking out over it.”

He took my shoulders in his hands again and rubbed his thumbs against my back soothingly. “Hey, I’m sure everything’s okay. If it was bad, I’m sure one of us would’ve gotten a call, too.”

I nodded, but I wasn’t totally convinced. When I spoke, it was barely a whisper, “I’m afraid that things are going to start getting bad again. I can’t lose anyone, we’ve already lost two werewolves. What if Scott’s the next one?”

Stiles pulled me close to him and placed his chin on top of my head, hugging me tightly to him. I had my arms around his torso, pressing my face to his chest and breathing in his familiar smell. It calmed me down more than it should’ve, but I would’ve admit that to anyone other than Lily.

“Miss McCall, I hate to ruin whatever moment you’re having with the village idiot, but you’ve got a class to attend. I’m not completely against giving detention on the first day back,” Mr. Harris said, making me reluctantly pull out of Stiles’ embrace.

He pressed a fast kiss to my forehead and whispered, “I’m sure everything’s fine with Scott. He’s got too many people here who care about him to do anything too stupid.”

I hoped like hell he was right, but I couldn’t quite shake the sinking feeling in my stomach. It was all too familiar, I always got it right before something really bad happened in Beacon Hills.

As I was walking out of the classroom, I heard Lydia say something to Allison that stuck in my head for the rest of the day. “It’s like Beacon Hills is turning into a beacon for the bizarre and supernatural.”

 ~

Thanks for reading :)