Chapter 33

I don't hate you, I love you. But loving you is killing me. So this is goodbye even if I don't want it to be. ~Nikita Gill, Love-Hate.

Everyone stood outside the Mayoral Mansion. Emma, her parents, little Neal, Henry, and Regina. It was nearing 6pm and Emma knew that she had to leave in to get back to Boston at a reasonable hour. She was standing on the gravel path opposite the door while everyone else stood on the porch.

Neal squirmed out of Mary Margaret's arms and ran up to her. She leaned down just in time to catch the little boy as he jumped on her wrapped his little arms around her neck. She held him tight against her chest. "I'll miss you, Emmy," he whimpered.

In the short time Emma had spent with him the day before, she became very fond of him and he stuck to her like glue from the second she walked through the door of the apartment. Her face fell at the sound of the little boy's voice. "Hey, it's okay, buddy," she whispered. "I'll be back to visit very soon."

Neal pulled back slightly and stared at her with his best puppy eyes. "Promise?" her whispered, holding up his pinky finger.

Emma nodded, linking her pinky with his. "Promise." Neal gave her one last hug before she set him down. She walked up the steps with him to their parents.

They gave her a small smile before wrapping her in a warm hug. "If this is what you think is best then we can't stop you," Mary Margaret whispered. "Please be careful." Emma let out a small sigh. She knew what she meant. They saw first-hand what she had put Regina through but knew that they couldn't force her to stay.

She pulled away and her gaze drifted over to where Regina was standing in the doorway. She was standing with her head down, refusing to look back at her.

Emma walked over to Henry and threw her arms around him. "Don't you go running off again, kid," she warned.

He laughed. "Yeah. Try explaining to your Captain why I've suddenly shown up again," he joked playfully.

"Seriously though," she said sternly. She pulled away and her gaze drifted back over to Regina. "Look after her."

Henry nodded, knowing exactly who she was talking about. "Always."

Regina's eyes drifted upwards, knowing that she was coming to her next. Her teeth sunk into her lower lip nervously.

Mary Margaret cleared her throat. "Come on, Henry. We'll give them some time to say goodbye." She motioned for Henry to follow them.

Emma swallowed the lump that had formed in the back of her throat as her nodded. She gave Henry another quick hug before the group made their way down the gravel path and away from the house.

#

Regina watched Emma carefully. She could feel the tears beginning to fill up in her eyes as the blonde took a step towards her. She shook her head. "No, Em," she choked out. "I can't do this again." Emma wrapped her arms around her waist and pulled her tight against her chest. "I can't say goodbye to you again," she whispered, hiding her face in her blonde mane.

Emma sighed. "At least this time you're getting a real goodbye."

Regina clung tightly to her jacket keeping her close, not wanting to let her go. A tear fell down her cheek. "Please don't leave me again," she whimpered. She could feel her heart shatter. She couldn't go through this – not again. Three years without her was too much.

Emma pulled back slightly to meet her gaze but kept her arms wrapped securely around her waist. "Come with me," she mumbled. Her glassy green eyes stared at her pleadingly.

"What?" she gasped.

"Come back to Boston with me. You and Henry," she repeated. She reached up and caressed her cheek with her hand, wiping away a few tears that had managed to escape with the pad of her thumb.

Regina bit her lower lip not knowing how to respond. She slowly shook her head. "I can't, Emma. As much as I would love to, I can't," she mumbled, watching as her face fell. "I'm not from here, I don't know anything about living in the outside world."

"I know, I'm sorry. I can't just expect you to pack up your entire live and leave everything you know." She slowly leaned down and hesitantly pressed their lips together. "You're staying for the same reason I'm leaving. We're from two different worlds."

Only we're not. Regina thought to herself. Not really. Emma was from her world, she just didn't grow up in it like her. She grew up in that horrible world outside the town border, outside the little fairytale bubble.

Emma tucked a stray strand of Regina's hair behind her ear. "I love you, Gina," she whispered.

Regina felt a tear fall down her cheek. "I love you too, Em."

She gently pulled her back in for another hug. "This won't be the last time you'll see me. I will come back this time. I'll visit," she whispered. "I promise."

Regina walked beside her down the gravel driveway to the gate where her bug was parked on the curb. A silent goodbye was shared between them as they stared into each other's eyes. Emma offered her a small, sad smile before opening the door of the bug and climbing in. The engine stumbled to life and Regina watched as she slowly drove off away from the mansion, away from Storybrooke and away from her – again.