Chapter 105: Idle Talk

Start from the beginning

When he heard words like royalty and rulers, he immediately thought of Sinmir and at a long stretch, Ella.

His mind didn't associate those titles with himself since, in his head, he was still a book reading shut-in from another world.

He couldn't live like that on Atlas, could he? After all, there was also his little brother to think about now, but would his younger sibling even accept him the way he was? Since Xaphile had no memory of his life prior to three months ago, the two of them were basically just strangers... but it definitely wouldn't be like that for Adariel.

His brother had an entire life's worth of memories that he had no recollection of since he was virtually a different person.

How would the kid react to being told that he had killed himself on another world?

The thought chilled his blood and he shook his head, tail fluffing out and mane standing up.

He wouldn't say a word about that.

The mere thought of being hated by the brother he'd never met gave him extreme anxiety.

"How long are you going to sit there curled up like an armadillo?"

He jumped at the voice and whirled around to see Vordt leaning against a tree a few feet away from him. It was hard to believe that a man of his size could move without making a sound.

"Sorry," Xaphile mumbled, turning back around and looking at the steaming lake. "I was thinking about some unpleasant things and kinda folded up on myself."

He made no move to uncurl himself, though.

Vordt quirked an eyebrow, then lowered his arms and sighed.

"May I join you?"

Xaphile nodded without looking at him. He heard a small rustle, and out of the corner of his eye, he saw his uncle sit down beside him. They sat there in silence for a long while, just staring off at the water. It was a comfortable silence.

"The man who claims to be another country's heir," he finally drawled, "has more pluck than I would have given him credit for. How did you run across a human like that?"

"I met him in Ordin," Xaphile said, shrugging with one arm. "We got off on the wrong foot, but somehow ended up being really, really good friends over time."

"I see."

After that, silence descended again, punctuated only by the breeze in the trees.

"Why are you so adamant about coming with us?"

The question escaped Xaphile's mouth before he realized he'd wanted to ask it. He turned, then, looking at Vordt with a questioning gaze. The man's face was hard, and his blue-green eyes remained locked on the water.

"Many reasons, most of them selfish."

"Well...? What are they?"

Vordt's eye twitched and he turned his head away.

"If you must have an answer," he snapped, "it is primarily because you are hopelessly untrained and will need to have proper guidance even after you leave this place. I cannot let you leave with those hopeless humans without knowing anything. It is unacceptable."

Xaphile nodded, but he couldn't help but feel downtrodden for some reason.

He looked back at the water, setting his chin on his knees, but then...

"And... I want to know you, as they do."

Xaphile stiffened and his head flew up, looking at Vordt in surprise. Vordt still hadn't turned around, but his long ears were definitely reddening. The sweep of solemn disappointment instantly disappeared, replaced with an emotion that could only be described as hope.