v.) drive

fuck.

is matty really going to london from manchester just to sneak me out of the house? i'm drunk and i frankly don't remember what he had said, but all of a sudden it's 3am and matty is trying to call, telling me that he's outside my house.

"fucking hell." i mutter to myself, rummaging through my closet to look for decent clothes that don't smell of alcohol, which is a tad bit useless considering the car matty has currently smells of the exact same thing. after a few searches i settle on a black sweater and jeans, and quickly tie the laces of my converse before opening my window and climbing down as quietly as i could to not disturb my mother.

leaving my room and discreetly walking to the open pavement takes a pretty long time with the pace i am going, and i can feel my heart beating twice as fast in my chest, thump thump thump it loudly goes, and i become so afraid that the sound might wake anyone in the dimly-lit street of my neighbourhood. i make my way towards the car and realize matthew is standing right next to the vehicle, leaning on the car's hood and looking at me with a smirk spread across his rather tired face.

"you took your time." he states, then opens the passenger door for me.

i don't say anything, and he slips into the driver's seat and quickly starts the car, driving away.

it's rather quiet. i'm staring at the countless cassette tapes on my floor, recognizing a bunch of 80s. i know this because my father used to fucking love the 80s. he had always said it was the best era in music. matty and his mates obviously feel the same way.

"i haven't had anything since this morning." i speak.

"but you opted for alcohol?" he replies, and he sounds amused of my choices. "we can drop by a fast food chain if you're into that."

i nod, although i am quite aware he doesn't really see it. "matty, where are we going?" i speak like a child, frankly because i'm intimidated by him in some way. not because he's older, but i guess because he's fucking famous and he literally just drove to pick me up to take me nowhere in the middle of the night.

"anywhere you want, love." he smiles. crooked teeth. although he looks rather warm in his leather jacket. "you mentioned you wanted me to sneak you out, and now you're out."

"can we eat first?" i mutter, because i am feeling quite famished.

"we can do whatever you want, rhi, the night is young." it's the first time i actually get to see him when he says my new nickname, and it slides through his tongue that makes it sound so good. "i'm actually craving for burgers, how does that sound?"

i nod again. now i'm quite aware he sees.

the drive is quiet, not the loud ones i'm used to whenever i'm with alice and the others. i pick up one cassette and tell matty to play it, and he actually smiles at me that makes me feel like it's one of his favorites. he parks outside a wendy's. unlike all the other ones i've been to, this looks much more sad and isolated. the lights have a yellow-ish tint to it, and no one's eating aside from an old man, poorly dressed and having a soda. matty and i sit by the booth at the back, which is quite chilly than the other places, but i don't really mind.

he buys me a burger and some french fries, and he gets the same although smaller.

"i'm not exactly a heavy eater." i say, referring to my skinny body type.