Chapter 2

The entire collective force of the manor jostled gently about the front entrance as though a field of grain in the breeze. The casual movements, shifting of weight and adjusting of collars, gave the impression of an easy, wave like motion, cascading down the staircase and culminating in the front foyer just inside the doors. Despite the number of people gathered in the space, it was still relatively quiet. Not that many of these people had much to say about the event that brought them all here. They had all been party to it on occasion over the years, and for most of them, it was just as much a formality as it was to Aerin. The only one who felt this façade was necessary seemed to be Christian.

From her vantage point at the top of the stairs, standing center point of the breezeway, Aerin let her eyes wander over the people that made up her world within the walls of her corner of London. They employed nearly one hundred Timeless, one of the largest collections of any highest ranking Elite family. Due to the size of their grounds and the manor itself, it required a solid number of workers to keep it running smoothly. Not to mention the various other necessities, such as automotive maintenance, social event planning, animal care. Within their stone walls and iron gates, they were as though an entity within themselves. Each person had a roll, a place, and a purpose. That purpose and place was the sole factor of their position under the family name, and their ability to provide their service, without incident, maintained their lives. They provided whatever the family needed. And in turn, they were given time, food, and shelter. A purpose, Christian considered it, rather than a life in the slums of the outpost towns.

The corner of Aerin's lip turned up as she noticed how each group of workers tended to cluster together, even now. The brown uniforms of the grounds staff. The blue of the housekeepers and kitchen. Black for the chauffeurs and butlers, green for those who cared for the horses and other animals. It was one of the many things the Timeless within the outpost towns used as battle fare, this segregation amongst their own, even further dividing them from the Elite. As if it had such deep meaning, Aerin thought with a roll of her eyes. In reality, it was merely easier to know who to go to. In a place as large as Windsor manor, it was almost impossible to know each face, each name, and their position. The color of their uniforms just made it simpler for everyone, when seeking a particular specialist.

With a long sigh, Aerin crossed her arms over her chest. She had followed through with her brother's wishes, despite her own distaste for the entire fanfare. Her hair was pinned up in a soft twist, a simple, pale blue gown over her frame. She didn't usually dress this way, of course. In reality, the Elites dressed much like the Timeless, when allowed to choose attire for comfort and preference rather than purpose. Jeans, t-shirts, sweaters. All the typical clothing of modern day. But as this was a show of status, a welcoming that was also laced with the reminder of the division within their classes, more formal attire was expected of her and those few of her family present.

Sparing a glance, Aerin found the daughter of one of their Timeless Aides, Sarah, just as restless as she was. At only ten, she had little to no interest in the political power struggle that was their current state of affairs, just like any other child would. Ignorant to the games of life, instead only interested in play and fun. Not that Aerin cared for it anymore than the child, but she was expected to at least pretend. Sarah, however, was swaying back and forth, shifting her weight as she pulled at the bow on her frock. The deep set frown on her full face almost made Aerin laugh. A chastising nudge and narrowed, warning glare from her mother stilled the child, although not without a rather impressive and disobedient scowl from Sarah as she turned her attention back to the front.

Breaking over the soft hum of lowered voices came the sound of engines. Their arrival immediately silenced whatever talk was within the home, all attention now focused on the door. Aerin turned her eyes to her brother, watching as he immediately pulled up straighter, adjusting his jacket, before stepping forward and opening the large, double doors to the manor.