Paloma, Chapter 2

When I awoke the next morning, I could feel the warm sun bathing my room in light. I stayed there from a few minutes, letting the warmth swallow me and engulf me. I love the first few minutes after you wake up. When your brain hasn't kicked in yet, and you can just let your body enjoy the sunlight.

Slowly, my brain remembered the events that had transpired the evening before.

"Unnnggggghhh...." I groaned. I didn't want to think about it.

"Oh good, you're awake m'lady." I heard Mera say from the other side of the room.

"Good morning Mera. Where's Mara?"

"Down in the kitchens, m'lady, getting your breakfast. I believe its eggs, ham, and toast this morning."

"Okay. What happened after I fell asleep last night?"

"Well, Mara and Prara and I all sat down and did some thinking." She walked over to my bed and sat down on the edge. I sat up and hugged my knees, eager to hear what they had devised.

"We could only come to one conclusion that would work, m'lady. But I'm afraid you're not going to be in favor of it." She said sadly.

"I know...I had the same thought last night. I was afraid to speak it aloud though, for fear you all would call me a coward." I mumbled.

"No, never m'lady! You would be a coward if you stayed, though, pardon me for saying so. But if you bow to your father's pig-headed wishes,-again, I'm sorry!- then you will be a coward. You simply cannot marry this man!" She looked scared for speaking out of turn. Perhaps other royals would beat her or something, but I honestly couldn't care less with her. She's to good a friend.

"Mera, when are you going to learn?" She flinched.

"Please m'lady, forgive me. But I had to say something."

"No! Not that silly!" She was taken aback. "I mean when are you ever going to learn that you don't have to be so formal when it's just us? Or even with Mara and Prara? Relax, will you?" She smiled.

"Thank you, m'lady!"

Mara entered then, pushing a cart full of food for the three of us. "Good morning, highness." She said. Her voice sounded funny.

"Mara, is something wrong?" I asked her. Then I saw her face. It was a mixture of fear, anger, and sadness. "What is it?" I asked again.

"Your fool of a father!" She said, trying to keep her voice under control. "He instructed the cook to only give you stale toast and water for all of your meals, until you agree peacefully to the marriage."

I couldn't believe it! "What does he want me to do, skip and dance around for joy??"

"That's the idea, princess. Here, I brought breakfast for Mera and myself, we will all share the meal so we all get some."

This is what I loved about Mara, she could adapt to pretty much any situation.

We all gathered around my sitting table, and ate in silence, to angered to speak.

"Good afternoon, Princess." One of the guards said as he snapped to attention.

"At ease, sir. And a good afternoon to you as well." I smiled at him as I strode past. I was on my way to the stables, to groom Lothien, my beloved mare. As I rounded the corner, I ran smack into Prara as he was on patrol.

"Beg pardon, Princess Paloma!" He said. "Please forgive me, highness, the fault was entirely my own."

"Oh, ease up Prara!" But he continued with the charade.

"Allow me to help you up, m'lady." As he bent over to pick me up, he whispered in my ear, "My captain is watching! Play along!"

He raised me to my feet smoothly, then bowed. "Thank you, noble guard. What be thou's name pray tell?" I asked, curtsying.

"Prara Haratch, highness."

I smiled. "Well, Prara Haratch, thank you kindly for your assistance. Who is your captain, that I may put in my praise for your excellent service?"

"Captain Hogu, m'lady." He replied, still at attention.

"I shall seek him out and give my praises for your noble work. Would you be so kind as to accompany me to the stables? I'm sure your Captain can spare you."

"As you desire, Princess Paloma." He bowed. We turned and walked on, and saw Captain Hogu rush out of sight, looking pleased. "Nice job Pally! Thanks for the help."

"It was the very least I could do after your assistance last night." I said.

"How are you from all that? Did Mera and Mara tell you our plan?"

"No, not yet." I lifted my dress as I descended the stairs to the main hall. I nudged his hand, the signal from wait. When we were out of the palace and on our way through the orchard to the stables, I continued my answer. "She started to, but Mara came with breakfast. Can you believe my father? He's actually trying to torture me with lack of food so I will agree to this marriage. He has ordered the kitchens to serve me nothing but stale toast and water."

"Unbelievable..."

"What is the plan then?" I asked, tying to keep the excitement out of my voice. If there was a way for me to avoid this monstrosity of a marriage, then I was eager to hear it!

"Mara has a sister about 10 miles outside of the city, and is sure she will agree to house you for a few nights. Once you are ready, you will journey to Marpoth, across the land."

"Marpoth?" I exclaimed. "That is at least a three month ride! Five, for a single woman who needs to protect herself and avoid night travel."

"I know, Pally. But Marpoth used to own these lands, before your father took them over. We're sure that they will be wiling to give you shelter and protection from your father. And who knows?" he winked at me playfully. "Maybe you'll meet a handsome prince in your travels."

"I wish!" I scoffed.

By this time we had arrived at the royal stables. These stables only housed the royal family's animals; there was another for the guard's horses and such.

I walked to Lothien's stall, grabbing a bucket of grains and oats as I went. I opened the door and walked in.

"Hello, dear." I smiled at her. If a horse could smile, then Lothien's expression would be a smile. She and I had a special bond. I had spent many hours in here with her, venting my anger about my family and their treatment towards me. I hung the pail of food on the wall for her, and she eagerly ate them up. I picked up a brush and started grooming her as she ate.

"Well, what do you think?" Prara asked me.

"I'm not sure yet;" I replied. "I love the idea of getting out of here," I said softly so the others in the stables couldn't hear our conversation. "However, I'm hesitant to journey that far unguarded. If anyone should discover my identity, I could be held randsom, or worse." I gulped. I'd heard stories like that before. I was in no way eager to see if they were true or not.

"You don't have much else of a choice, Pally..." He whispered. "And Mara said that her sister could ferry letters between wherever you are and the castle; just mail them to her, and she will pass it on to the castle via Mara."

This made me feel better. If there was a way I could keep in touch with my friends, and not be completely severed from them, this might work.

"Give me a bit more time. I will have my decision by this evening." I told him.