chapter III

Julian

Well shit.

This was it. He was here to accomplish his goal. Me and Sophia were fucked.

More strong knocks.

"I know you're in there. I can feel you! Don't you miss your beloved father?"

I shrugged. Miss him? More like wishing shooting people weren't illegal so I could kill that son of a bitch.

I could feel Sophia's fear behind me. I turned my eyes to her and saw, even though she was affraid, she still had a predators expression that made me so proud of her I wanted to squeeze that girl hard against me and never let her go.

She eyed me and gave a tiny encouraging smile that twisted my heart in a way I didn't understand and made me, somehow, calmer.

My courageous Soph, I thought.

"My..." I liked that.

I extended my hand so she could take it, which she did. She was so cold. Probably from the fear. I really should have caried her against her will to my room and locked her there.

I gently strocked her palm with my thumb, feeling her relax slightly.

Suddenly, the frenetical knocking stopped.

Sophia's eyes traveled from my face to the door, puzzled. So did mine. It was obvious my father wouldn't just give up. There must be something up.

"Is he-" her question stood incompleted as my front door shettered and a rain of glass fell on us both. I barely bad time to turn around and reach Sophia.

I shilded her body with mine, feeling some fragments stick into my back's flesh, and believe me when I say that some of them weren't just tiny crystals. They felt like freaking daggers.

As I knew what she would do if she heard me in pain, I bit my bottom lip hard, closing my throat to any sounds of agony. Couldn't stop my muscles from reacting though, and she must have noticed them contract because she looked at my eyes, searching.

Why did she had to know me so damn good? Her expression hardened when she read the affliction in my eye.

"Jules?"

"Their here!"

Heavy boots ecooed upon the floor. Red dots ran the walls. Gun lasers.

I turned my head towards the door. The police was here. I felt Sophia let go of a relieved sigh.

"Are you the only two people in here?" A police officer asked, examinating us. Somehow, his voice seemed projected from the farest end of a tunnel.

As I couldn't speak, Sophia responded "Yes, we are. His mother must be in her way too."

"Yes, she called us. Don't worry, she's okay, and you are too now." The guy must have noticed the segments of glass coming out of my shirt, because he rested his hand on my shoulder and added "An ambulance is coming too. Both of you will be okay."

"What happened to his father? Did you arrest him?"

The cop was quiet for a moment, like if searching for the best way to say "No. He was able to escape trough the back garden."

Sophia sucked in her breath. "Does that mean that... He's lurking around again? Waiting for the perfect moment to attack Julian..."

Her arms came around my waist, protectivelly. And then she got them away, so fast I felt a cold chill run down my spine.

She looked at me with a shocked expression. "Jules... Oh my God, you're back..."

Her eyes were huge. Two drops of liquid gold, full of anxiety and distress. I wanted so bad to hold her, to caress her silky hair and wisper that everything was okay, that I was just fine, but I couldn't because I would be lying. At least it was me that got hurt, not her.

Thank fucking God for that.

As the adrenaline was leaving my veins, I started to became more aware of the glass fragments stuck in my back and the ache was starting to be unbearable, eclipsing my brain, clouding my vision.

"Jules? Talk to me, please!" I could hear her voice, loud and agitated, as she held my face between her sweaty hands. I wanted to anwer, tell her everything was okay, but somehow I couldn't find my voice. My throat was pressed with agony.

My head started to feel light. Dizziness consuming me. I could hear Sophia calling my name, but even with all the stuggle, I just couldn't speak back.

In a moment my body was pressed against hers, the next one I was streached out on the floor, swirling in a hurricane of darkness.

Until I blanked.

****

I'm sorry this chapter is so small, but I think you can guess why.

What the hell just happened to Jules? Is he okay? Tiny pieces of glass couldn't do such mess! Or maybe some aren't that tiny... I don't know, though.