f o u r

*Present*

They were on their way to their cousin's. Her sister sat in the front opposite her father who was driving, so Yoyo was stuck in the back with her.

It was a long drive, and she couldn't even use her phone, because the eyes following her every move if she did so made her nervous.

So she sat, looking towards the trees whizzing by on the highway.

Her sister spoke up.

"Hey aunt May doesn't believe that we're actually gonna visit them. We should have called them sooner", she chuckled.

Then the mother spoke to her beloved second daughter.

"Maybe you can video call her and show her we're on the highway?"

"Of course!"

She sat back properly and took a video call.

A mechanical voice informed them that there wasn't enough signal.

"Crap"

"Just viber them our location", her father spoke.

"How'd you do that?"

"Ask your sister"

Yoyo froze upon hearing the acknowledgement of her existence.

"Hey sisterrr", the young, overly- pampered member of her family spoke.

She looked up. "What?"

"You heard dad. Do it." She said, passing the tab.

Yoyo took it and quickly vibered their location to their cousin-Aunt May's daughter- who quickly replied. So Yoyo replied back and they went on for a few minutes till she heard a voice boom in her ear; "Leave it now! What are you doing for so long?"

"I was just..."

"You think you can hide your schemes from me? You think you're so smart, hiding under my nose?"

"I DID EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED ME TO DO! I JUST.."

Yoyo never got to finish; she heard the sickening slap before she felt the burn across her nose and mouth.

"Learn to talk first!"

Yoyo was fuming. Angry tears threatened to break what little composure she had; she swallowed it back down.

"So you're just going to slap me because I did exactly what you asked me to?"

"Yes. Get used to it.". Her mother continued to stare ahead as if nothing happened. No one else dared to speak.

She bit down on her tongue so hard she could feel the metallic tang of blood in her mouth.

She closed her eyes and turned toward the window, resting her forehead against it.

She felt the familiar lump in her throat as the first of many silent tears dripped down her cheeks.

There was at least two hours left in the journey, and she was going to have to spend it next to the person she hated the most, securely fastened in place with a seatbelt.