Chapter 26

Kihyun shrugged as a thought immediately hit him. He had forgot about his jacket and hoped that no one had taken it since it had only been about 10 minutes since they left the local.

He lightly pat Hyungwon's shoulder to point it out.

"I forgot my jacket in the church so I'll go get it, okay? It won't take too long."

"Should I follow you?" Hyungwon asked.

"No, you should go home and I'll come after you to cook dinner. Minhyuk can stay over if he wants." Kihyun replied without waiting for an answer as he immediately took off with quick,  confident steps towards the church to get his things.

The local was just minutes away and with the sun shining, the man had nothing against walking some extra distance. In fact he found it relaxing.

As he entered the building, making his way up to the front-row, he found the grey jacket laying there at the same spot as where he left it. Kihyun took it on despite the relatively warm weather as the cross placed at the podium in front of him catched his glance.

He wasn't a very religious person but something told him to bend down on his knees. Out slipped words that had not been said for a long time.

"...Hello there, honey." He whispered with his eyes closed, faced towards the podium.

"I know it's been a long time since I 'talked' to you but I am back now." He sighed. "I just wanted to ask...how is it up there in heaven? I miss you a lot. It's been 5 years since we married and 4 years since you gave birth to a wonderful girl. I imagine she'd be. 4 years since both of you passed away."

Kihyun tried to hold back his tears still closing his eyes.

"I'm sorry that you didn't make it. The birth should've been safe. But...I just-" He bit his lip as the flashbacks got to him. His wonderful wife, the woman of his dreams. How they decided to marry and even get kids as early as in their twenties. Everything seemt perfect back then. But the end wasn't.

"I just miss you...and I still love you so so much." His lips trembled and the first of many tears started to roll down his cheeks. "Just wait for me! We'll be together one day. The day has yet to come but please take care up there and take care of our little girl."

Kihyun dried his tears and rose from his knees as he looked up at the ceiling painted with angels sitting on clouds.

"But...I'm fine. I'm not lonely. I'm taking care of an amazing boy." A smile couldn't be stopped as Kihyun thought of his current life.
"His name is Hyungwon, he's not a kid but he's filling up the void you left behind and I love him as if he was my son. I'm sorry, I talk too much don't I?"

He laughed a little in his own loneliness.

"Let's reunite in heaven one day. We just have to wait for that day. Please wait for me." He finished but just as he was on his way out, something caught his senses.

Didn't it smell? It smelled smoke, right? He suddenly felt an incredible heat on his back but at that point, it was already too late.