To see if it's actually real.

A sleek black car pulled out from the driveway, whoever's at the wheel is completely shaded by the tint. They disappear quickly, just as Sky comes out the door.

As she pads back up the stairs, I resume my spot on the bed. Her cheeks are flushed, her eyes dazzling with excitement. She holds a glittering golden box, tied at the top with a magnificently large bow. She almost drops the large thing as she tries to place is gently on the floor.

"I didn't get to see who dropped it off," Sky comments, kneeling in the floor as she tugs gently on the end of the bow. It falls away without much resistance. "It kind of just appeared."

I can't help my curiosity as I lean over to watch her unbox the contents.

As she pulls back the cardboard lid, there is a layer of golden tissue paper with rose coloured paper onto. Sky picks that up first, her fingers pulling it to reveal two pieces of paper. A smile graces her face, as she turns and hands me one of the pieces.

It's satiny soft to the touch, and paper thin, as if the slightest touch will rip it to shreds. Practiced lines of sparkling gold paint swirl down the paper, framing the words beautifully. They curve into a figure of a wolf - the symbol of alliance to Alpha Asher. I read the letters silently in my head:

Formal Invitation

Dear Alaya Thorne,

You have been selected to attend Alpha Asher's party on the 13th.

This invitation gives you access to the first floor.

Please reveal the invitation to the Guards at the main door, and no one else.

We hope to see you,

Alpha Asher and his Team.

I gaze at the pretty cursive ink writing, before something dark on the other side catches my eyes. Twisting it over in my hand, I see a small set of letters at the bottom left corner, fresh and hand-written with a strict line underneath.

See you tonight.

~A

My heart skips a beats.

"Hey Sky," I say warily. "Can I look at yours?"

"Sure," she says, handing me her invitations as she switches her attention to what else is inside the box. On the front, the invitations are the exact same, aside from our names. That's not what I care about.

I turn it over. Nothing. Just a clear piece of paper with no marks at all.

Glancing at Sky, she is to preoccupied by a satin dress she is pulling out of the box. Swallowing, I shove my invitation behind me before she can see. Who knows what would happen if she found out about this. I need to figure out what it means first, or if it's just someone playing a little trick.

"Oh, this is definitely yours," Sky says in amazement, stealing my attention.

She lifts a glittering dress the colour of silvery moonlight, the tiny jewels clinging to it radiating a subtle glint at every turn against the sun. Sky's grin as she turns to me matches the grandeur of the dress that looks as if it would swallow my blandness whole.
"How can you be so sure?" I question, taking the dress from her hands. It feels softer than I thought in my hand, as if the jewels aren't there, only the softest silk.

Sky nudges a piece of string up from the dress, revealing a tag. "Has your name on it, dummy."

"How do they know our sizes?" I question, examining the dress further.