Chapter Sixteen: Part 3

Start from the beginning

            “What do you want, Alice?” he said at last, when Tricia had run down.

            “Beg pardon?” How ironic that he was asking her the very question she longed to ask him.

            “You don’t want to plan a party - what do you want instead? “ Again he came close, looking down at her, inches away from her face. He took her hand, his thumb tracing across her palm, giving her shivers. When she looked down, her eyes widened. The charms on her bracelet shone in the glittering light of the candles, all except one. The heart had turned completely black. She yanked her gaze off the tarnished charm and looked at Ambrose anxiously. He hadn’t noticed.

“I can give you anything,” his smooth voice was saying and the promise in his eyes made her breath catch. His touch sent a flash of heat rippling across her skin. She touched the heart charm and took a deep breath.

“You’ve already given me quite enough.”

            “I don’t feel I have. I feel you’re the type that needs more.” Ambrose’s tone was challenging and Alice had a sudden thought.

            “Perhaps you won’t give me what it is I want.” Alice glanced at him coyly from beneath her lashes, going along with the game. She could use this to her advantage.  He looked back, gesturing with an easy smile to encompass the ballroom.

 “I can give you anything in the world. I am a god, a legend. Ask and it shall be done.”

            “The head of John the Baptist on a platter?”

            Ambrose’s eyes sparkled with mirth. “You read. Most women your age wouldn’t even get the reference, never mind make that joke. I’m impressed. My offer still stands: anything you desire is yours.”

            Alice squared her shoulders and smiled sweetly. “Very well. I desire one of the women you keep in your harem.”

There was dead silence. Allira’s eyebrows shot up and her red lips quirked downwards.

Behind her Alice heard Tricia sulk, saying something about the party being ruined. She watched Ambrose’s expression register only surprise. After a moment his full mouth curled upwards, and Alice nearly breathed a sigh of relief as he broke the tension with a hearty laugh.

“How unexpected!  It’s so very refreshing to find a Human as bold as you.”

            “I think you will find me different than most of the humans you surround yourself with.”

Or the horrible women you keep in that awful harem.

            Ambrose clearly picked up on her feelings, and a smirk tugged the corner of his mouth, making her temper flare.

“You disapprove of my harem, my dear Alice?”

            This was clearly a loaded question; Ambrose was setting her up to give him an unforgivable insult. She would have to tread carefully.

“I see nothing wrong, provided the girls are willing.”

            “You think one of mine is not willing to be with me?” Ambrose’s eyes sparkled. Another set up.

            “Of course not,” Alice said smoothly. He could take that either way. His eyes moved back and forth over her, calculating, trying to read her expression. She kept her face as blank as marble.  Soon he smiled again, clearly enjoying himself.

“Why do you desire one of my women?”

            Alice shrugged carelessly. “Perhaps I want what is yours simply for the fun of it.”

            The Vampires behind him shifted and murmured clearly shocked. Allira looked furious, but again, Ambrose laughed in delight.

“How devilish you are! What an unexpected side of you. You, who are so alluringly timid and proper, turn into as ferocious a hunter as your pet.” He indicated Shakra. “How fascinating. Very well, you may have whoever you like.” He gestured behind him. “I shall have someone go and get a girl. Perhaps Lidia?”

Alice shook her head. “I want Maya.”

            For a moment Ambrose’s face twitched with shock, and his brow darkened. She thought he was going to fly into a rage. Then he blinked and swallowed, pulling his expression back into carelessness.

“You want a specific one? You know her name already!”  He did not ask how, but the look he shot Allira was enough.  She had obviously told him about leaving Alice at the bathrooms. He could guess she must have got lost and wound up at his harem.

            “Very well.” Ambrose snapped his fingers, and one of the Vampires, a pale blonde man, hurried forward. 

“Aspen, go get Maya and bring her to the ballroom.”

            “Yes sir.”

            Alice watched the Vampire hurry away, hoping he returned soon and they could take the girl and go.  Ambrose was still talking.

            “How are you enjoying the party, dear? Is it glamorous enough for you?”

            Alice turned back to look at him, and was startled by how close he was leaning in. She made sure to keep her frozen mask on.

“It’s splendid, wonderful. You have an interesting mix of friends, Alexie.”

            “I’m glad you’re enjoying it, dear Alice.”

             The way he said her name was thrilling - caressing, velvety tones that sent shivers down her back, her skin flushing hot and cold. It wouldn’t do to show he was affecting her.

“Goodness,” she said, hearing a clock chime, “Hard to believe it’s past midnight.”

            “You won’t turn into a pumpkin I hope.” His eyes sparkled, but they were filled with such intensity that she nearly backed away. He was positively vibrating with dark emotion. Was it lust, or could he be hiding how angry he was that she was taking Maya? She was on dangerous ground here. Heat sparked in her stomach as he stroked one finger down her arm.

            “Not a pumpkin.” She made her voice sound light. “That’s terribly cliché. I should like to turn into something far more interesting.”

            “Perhaps diamonds,” he joked.

            “Or a lacy parasol.”

            “Far more useful than a pumpkin.”  Their light bantering came to an end as the same tall Vampire returned, the dark haired Maya in tow. Alice was relieved to see she had been clothed in something other than see-through silks.  She had someone’s coat on, and the bottom reached nearly to her feet.  She looked terrified; Alice desperately wished she could give her some kind of reassurance, but she knew she must keep her mask from slipping.  Ambrose must not think her weak - if he did, she knew he would exploit it somehow.

            “Excellent.” She gave Ambrose a smile. “I thank you for your generous gift.”

            Ambrose’s mouth twitched.  He gave her a low bow. “Of course, dear Alice. And I will see you at the next party.” It was not a question this time. She owed him.

            “Of course.”

Tired of waiting? Purchase the entire book for just $2.99 on Amazon (link is on my profile) or visit my website: www.museslibrary.blogspot.com for articles on writing, how to get an agent and book reviews on the latest young adult fiction!