Chapter 25 -- Run for the hills

Start from the beginning

A tear slips down my cheek; maybe it's for selfish reasons. I'm the one responsible for the loss of his power. What kind of hero am I?

"Della, I'm not getting anything." He whispers.

My heart drops to my stomach. What have I done? The feeling of someone punching me in the stomach encompasses me.

He looks up to see me failing in my attempt to hold back tears. "Jonas," My voice breaks, "Please forgive me. I'm so sorry, I never meant for this to happen."

He grabs my hand, which he did without hesitation. Maybe Mason was right, Jonas won't look at me any different.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to stop helping you." He uses a soothing voice to relax me. Why is he the one helping me relax? I should be helping him!

"Don't beat yourself up over this, Del." His thumb makes small circles over my hand.

When I'm at a loss for words, Jonas doesn't usually have an issue with filling the silence. But for now, he stares into my eyes, and I think about how much I'm falling for his smile. For his eyes. For his caring, gentle heart. For his forgiveness. For his patience with me.

Jonas Coleman may be one of the best people in this world.

He shifts around to where he can sit up straight. He twists his upper body to fully face me. Then, just like the time before, his hand reaches out to touch my cheek and brush my hair away from my face. Time freezes and we're the only two people that exist.

His lips are closer than inches from mine, more like centimeters. Jonas brushes his lips across my own, I suppose to tease me. My nose rubs against his and then his lips crash down on mine. The kiss doesn't last any more than three seconds, but I lost track of time in this moment.

When I'm met with his eyes again, I think I may be dreaming, or in a trance. His eyes soften when they look into mine.

He bites his lip, "Hey, Della?"

I smile in return, "Yes Jonas?"

"I didn't lose my power. The only thing I lost was the bet."

My mouth drops open and I consider punching the crap out of him for lying to me and making me cry. Perhaps I deserved his trick, though. Instead of pummeling him, I choose to ask a follow up question.

"So what is my reward for winning?" I smirk, teasing him just as he did to me.

He opens his mouth to speak, and then his parents bust in the room.

"Jonas Hunter Coleman, you better have a good explanation for all of this!"

I guess that's my cue to run for the hills.

***

The nurses and his parents flood the room, and I decide I would rather wait in the hall. I feel bad to leave him alone, being heavily questioned by the doctors and his parents. How is he going to explain this incident?

"Della? Della! What happened?" Great, mom's here. Dad tags along behind her. I stand up from the bench- which is more comfortable than the metal chair.

"I don't really think I can tell you here." I shrink in fear.

Mom's jaw clenches, as she tries to hold back her anger.

"We have been waiting as well as Jonas' parents for six hours for news of his condition. And you're saying you can't tell us now?"

"Mom, please, can we talk about this at home?" I beg of her.