Chapter 23 -- What peace feels like

Ash watched me run out the cafeteria doors. There wasn't much she could do. She looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Rescue him, Della. The wedding must go on."

"Really Ash?" I ran away from her at that point.

Now I'm zipping down the streets, trying to make my way to Jonas. When I get to Fourth Street, I'm not exactly sure where to look.

My first instinct is that this is a set up. Quickly, I turn invisible so that if one of the villains got a hold of Jonas' phone, they won't know I'm here.

Where are you? I text Jonas. Hm. His name looks so plain in my phone now. Should I add an emoji to his name or something?

Focus, Della! Gosh!

My phone starts to buzz as an incoming phone call appears on the screen. Jonas is calling me. Why can't he text?

Do I answer it? What if they can't see me but by answering the call they can hear me and find me?

For some unknown reason, I still answer my phone.

"Della! I don't have time to text! They're right behind me! I'm on Ames Road now!"

I don't know who "they" is but I'm still leery about this ordeal.

"Prove you're Jonas." I demand.

"What?" He exclaims.

"Read my mind over the phone. Tell me what I'm thinking right now."

"Della-"

"Prove. Yourself." I enunciate.

He sighs, "I'm an idiot for not allowing you to come with us," That's all I need to hear as I speed over to Ames Road and rescue him. He jumps on my back, weighing me down. Whoever was chasing him is a tiny speck to us now.

A few blocks over should be enough to give us time. And for me to catch my breath. I really need to train with Mason before Friday.

He slaps me on the back, "Thanks, Del. We need to get to the school."

He begins to walk in that direction, but I hold on to his arm. "Wait." My heart may be racing from the run, but it's suddenly stopped all together.

"What's wrong?" Jonas asks, looking over my shoulder for any villains.

"I can't go back to the school. At least, until the end of biology."

"Something happened with Sophia?" Wow, for a mind reader he sure isn't aware of my thoughts.

"No. Mickey. But Sophia was part of it." I look away from him, suddenly remembering why Mickey cornered me in the first place.

Jonas reaches out to touch my arm, sending the same energy through my body as always. Except this time, I don't pull away or shudder at the touch.

"I'm sorry." He confesses.

My head tilts to the side in confusion. "What for?"

He draws in closer, and I instinctively take a step back. Jonas chuckles at my action, then takes a step towards me again. This time I tell myself to stay put.

"For being stupid. For leaving you alone with Mickey and Sophia." Out of the corner of my eye, I see him reach out to put his hand on my waist. Instead, I grab his hand and intertwine our fingers. He smiles down at me.

"So does this mean you don't feel awkward towards me anymore?" Jonas asks as he leans his forehead down on mine. Our lips are, once again, almost touching.

"I'm getting there." I allow a small smile to form. Neither of us have started to lean in, like his game suggested.

"What happened to whoever leans in first has to finish the job?" I smirk.