Chapter 6 -- Stuff up his sleeve

Red Raven is devious, sure. He's probably the most intelligent super out there too. That does not give him the right to burn down people's houses and then take their insurance money. What villain has the audacity to do that? What is going through his mind when he does these things?

"Della, I really want to come with you." Jonas has been pacing the floor just as I have been.

"No, Jonas. What would happen if your identity was revealed? I have invisibility on my side."

What's the point of my invisibility anyways? If I can travel faster than the speed of light, who can even see me? Honestly, I don't see the need in my invisibility after Ash has made Jonas and I suits.

"Ash," I turn from Jonas to Ash while I stand in the middle of her bedroom. "Keep working on the costume when I'm gone. Just because Raven knows who I am doesn't mean the rest of the town needs to know."

She nods her head and I look to Jonas who couldn't look more upset. He sits in Ash's desk chair and hangs his head down.

Ash nudges me and I walk towards him. He'll come with me next time, for sure. But I honestly hope there won't be a next time.

"Jonas, I change my mind. Come with me, you can stand behind a building and read his mind. You can help." His eyes meet mine and brighten at hearing my words.

"Really? Wait, so, then you really expect this to be the end?"

Well he most certainly picks the greatest times to read my mind. I didn't want to leave him behind if I plan on taking Red Raven down once and for all. While I'm hopeful, I don't have a master plan to do this. Jonas has been waiting for this day, so maybe he's got something in mind. He's the closest thing I have to a secret weapon.

"Let's do it." He claps his hands together and runs out the bedroom door. Ash and I exchange a glance, waiting for him to come back in the room. When he does, he says, "So, um, how does this whole hero thing work?"

"Beats me. I'm still trying to figure it out." I shrug with a light laugh.

Laughing is not something I typically do. With these two goofballs I usually have to be the mature one to keep them on track. I'm surprised Mickey likes me for my personality because I'm such a stick in the mud. Maybe it's because I don't ever know what I'm getting into with these Raven situations or why I have to go in alone.

Since middle school I've been trying to figure out my purpose and to know that I'm still finding my way makes being a hero a little discouraging. Not to say that having powers has ruined my life... But it's made being normal even harder than it was before powers. Back when I was the dork of the school. Perhaps this is why Sophia Brown dislikes the idea of me being with a guy like Mickey. It goes against the status quo. News flash, this isn't High School Musical.

"Well, we don't have much time to figure this out. But if he burnt down all the houses on main street, he's probably going to rob them. And then the insurance companies about three miles from there. Now, I've made this chip," Ash places a tiny device in the palm of my hand. "So work your magic and find some place to put this on him. Because we're not always going to be able to guess at where he's at."

"You think he's got better stuff up his sleeve?" Jonas scoffs.

"That's true. I don't think he even has a motive or a grand plan. I think he's just a devious teenage boy with too many powers." I slide my sneakers on and tie my mask around my face.

"Too many powers? Del, he can only control behavior." Jonas informs me. I forgot to fill him in about the flying thing.

"I'll catch you up on the way back. We need to get there now."