If I Let You Go

"Would you like to stay tonight?" Elijah's soft voice sent shivers down your spine. You nodded and leaned into his hand, that was laying on your cheek. You had spent the evening with him in the Mikaelson compound and had enjoyed every minute of it. Now, that it was time to leave again, you couldn't bring yourself to actually do that.

You loved Elijah, with all your heart. And him asking you now to stay over night, let your heart beat way faster. The smile that had grown on Elijah's face was too beautiful to not stare at. Of course, he felt your eyes on him and he smirked. "What?"

You shrugged. "Nothing. I just...would like to stay here", you explained with a little smile. Elijah didn't say anything to that, instead he leaned down and sealed your lips with his. You snuggled into his arms while he continued kissing you.

The night the two of you spent together, was one of the most amazing ones you had ever experienced. Elijah was the perfect man for you and when you were laying in his arms now, looking at his handsome face, you couldn't feel happier.

With a little sigh, you scooted closer to Elijah and placed your head on his bare chest. Soon you were falling asleep in Elijah's arms, feeling calm and safe.

While you were asleep, Elijah was awake, laying there in the dark and holding you close. He could hear your regular breathing and felt so much love for you. But being with you meant that you were put into almost constant danger. And because Elijah loved you so much, he had thought about just letting you go. You deserved a safe life, one where you didn't have to fear that something could happen to you on a daily basis.

Sighing, Elijah wrapped his arms tighter around your sleeping body. He had no choice. He wanted to protect you and he could only do that by sending you away. Even when that meant it would break his heart into a million pieces.

~

When you woke up the next morning, you were laying in bed all alone. You let a hand run over the bed sheets next to you and smiled. Maybe Elijah was making breakfast for you already. You stayed in bed for another five minutes, then you finally got up and put on one of Elijah's shirts. You loved to wear them.

Only wearing his shirt, you went to the huge kitchen. But to your surprise, it was empty. You frowned and looked around. In that moment, Freya stepped in. When she saw you, basically half naked, she couldn't hide a smirk. "Good morning", she said.

"Good morning", you replied and folded your arms in front of your chest. You felt a bit uncomfortable right now, since no one of the Mikaelson family have had seen you half naked yet. Except for Elijah, of course.

"Are you looking for my brother?", Freya asked and you nodded. "Have you seen him?"

"Yeah, he has been making himself a coffee some minutes ago. But since then, I haven't seen him anymore", she explained. You quietly sighed and then thanked her. You decided to go back into the bedroom. You would take a shower and then Elijah would be back hopefully.

When you entered the bedroom, Elijah was there already. "Hey, I was looking for you", you gently said as you walked towards him. But when you wrapped your arms around his neck, Elijah pulled them away again. You frowned at him. "What's the matter?" Suddenly, your heart started to beat faster.

„Y/N...", Elijah started, but then stopped again, as if he was trying to find the right words to say what he wanted to say. "I...can't do this anymore", he finally burst out. It took a moment for you to take in his words.

"What...what do you mean, Elijah?" Your voice wasn't more than a whisper. He sighed. "We can't be together anymore. It's just...to dangerous", he tried to explain. But you just shook your head while you tried to hold back the tears that were forming in your eyes right now.