Emotionless

You knew something was wrong the moment Rebekah and Kol came back into the Mikaelson mansion. They looked stressed, confused and worried. You slowly stepped down the stairs into the hall. "What happened? Where's Elijah? And Klaus?" You threw your questions at them. Rebekah's eyes filled with tears. Kol sighed. "There was an incident with Lucien...", Kol quietly started, "and he managed to get Klaus. He...Klaus disappeared. And Lucien brought Elijah to turn off his humanity."

You gasped at these words. "W-What?" You couldn't believe what you were hearing. "What do you mean Lucien brought Elijah to turn off his humanity?" Of course, you knew what this meant but you were too shocked right now.

"Y/N...", Kol said in a pleading tone. You held up a hand to show to stop. He didn't have to say anything. "Where is he?" Kol shrugged. "We haven't seen him since Lucien and Klaus disappeared", he quietly said. "He just...stormed away." You nodded silently. What should you say anyway? The thoughts were running wild through your head right now. Elijah had turned off his humanity...which meant, that he was unpredictable. You've been his girlfriend for two years now and although you were human, you never had to fear when he was with you. You knew, that he would never hurt you. But now...without his emotions...what if he would do you any harm? You shook your head as if you could shake off all these thoughts.

You slowly walked up the stairs again and entered Elijah's bedroom. Well, it was kind of yours as well since you spent most of your time in the MIkaelson mansion anyway. You let yourself sink on the bed and buried your head in your hands. What should you do now? What should you all do? Klaus had disappeared and no one knew if he was still alive or if Lucien had managed to kill him and Elijah wasn't himself anymore.

You couldn't hold back the tears anymore and sobbed into the pillows. This was a nightmare. Soon you felt so exhausted from crying, that you fell asleep fully clothed. The next time you woke up, you felt that you weren't alone in the room. You turned around and winced. Elijah was sitting in the armchair near the window.

"E-Elijah", you quietly said and sat up. You had no idea how to react to him suddenly being here. He slowly got up from the chair. "Y/N", he said as he came closer. You could see in his eyes that they were cold. No emotion was in them and you could feel fear creep into your chest.

"What...what do you want?", you eventually asked. "That's my bedroom, did you forget that?", he said and let himself sink on the mattress. You moved away from him. You couldn't trust the vampire Elijah without his humanity on. He smirked. "What? You're scared of me?"

You nodded. There was no reason to lie. He saw that you were afraid. "Come on darling, I wouldn't hurt you", Elijah laughed and tried to grab you. Now you jumped out of the bed. "Don't touch me", you snapped. But faster than you could see, Elijah was suddenly standing in front of you. His hand grabbed your hair and pulled your head back. It hurt, but you tried not to show it.

"Do you really think that you'd have a chance against me when I wanted to do you any harm?", he quietly said. Your heart skipped a beat and you were sure that he had heard it. His lips parted into a slight smile. "That isn't you, Elijah", you whispered, still feeling his hand in your hair. He let out a short laugh. "No, this is exactly who I am, Y/N", Elijah hissed. You wriggled and tried to escape his grip.

"No! I refuse to believe that this is you!", you exclaimed. Slowly, Elijah put his hand away from your hair. "Well, then I'm sorry to disappoint you. Or...no, I'm not." You swallowed at his words and tried to hold back the tears. You couldn't believe that this man here was Elijah. You knew him as a caring, charming man who always wanted to protect you and his whole family. But before you could say something else, he had left the bedroom again. You kept standing where you were for some minutes, trying to calm yourself down. Then you went to look for Rebekah. You needed to stop that. You all might have lost Klaus already. You wouldn't stand there and watch while you were losing Elijah too.

~

Three days later, Rebekah, Kol and you still hadn't figured out a plan to get Elijah back. And you hadn't seen him since then neither. None of you knew where he was, but there had been found four bodies – all with bite marks on their necks. You all didn't say it out loud, but you knew that this must have been Elijah. You felt sick to your stomach whenever you thought about him killing people just for fun.

"Hey, Y/N! Where are you going?" Kol looked at you frowning as you passed the living room fastly. You stopped and turned around. "I'm going to look for Elijah. I guess I know where he is at the moment and I need to talk to him", you explained. Kol got up from the couch he had been sitting on. "Are you silly? He's a vampire without emotions and you're human! Don't you think you could be in danger?" Kol looked as if he wanted to hold you back or join you in your mission, but you shook your head. "He won't do me any harm, even if he says he will." Why you were sure about that, you didn't know. But you had a feeling that you could be the one to turn him around again.

"Let me go, Kol. Don't worry." You squeezed his arm, gave him a little smile and then finally left. You had to find Elijah. And you did, half an hour later. Your boyfriend was in one of the bars you knew he had visited a few times in the past. He was sitting at the bar, drinking some whiskey. You sat down next to him. "I've heard that you were out and about these nights", you said and glanced at the man. Elijah put his glass back on the counter and then turned around to face you.

"One can't even have a drink in peace", he murmured. You sighed. He was being an idiot. A huge idiot. "No, you can't. And I'm sick and tired of your behavior, Elijah Mikealson. Do you really think this will get you somewhere? Klaus is god knows where. Kol and Rebekah are worried about their brothers. And what are you doing? Turning off your emotions and killing off people!" You had gotten furious and you didn't care if there were people in that bar that could possibly hear you.

Elijah stood up now, slamming the glass on the counter so hard, it broke. "It wasn't my decision to turn my emotions off, Y/N! Lucien has more power than us originals now! He forced me to turn my emotions off!" You stared at Elijah for a moment and then you put your hands on his shoulders. "He might have forced you, but you can break that, Elijah. You can turn your emotions on again. Please, try it."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can!" You now cupped his face with your hands, looking into his eyes. You could see that he was fighting. "Elijah, please. You can't be like this. I love you so much and you're breaking my heart! You're breaking your siblings' hearts!" You had a hard time holding back your tears right now. But you didn't want to give up.

"Brother, you better listen to her." A voice came from the door of the bar and you both looked up. Klaus. Your jaw dropped and so did Elijah's. "Klaus!", you exclaimed. What was going on? He slowly walked towards the two of you. "No one just kills off Klaus Mikaelson, even Lucien Castle", Klaus smirked as he saw your facial expression. Then he turned to Elijah.

"Come on, brother. I am the bad one here. You're strong enough to resist Lucien's manipulation. And here's your girlfriend, the woman you love, have you forgotten that? And what about Kol and Rebekah?" You watched Klaus talking to Elijah knowing that if there was someone who could make Elijah turn around, it was Klaus. You were nervous and really hoped, it would work. You couldn't bear to see Elijah acting like this any longer.

Elijah's eyes wandered from his brother to you and then back again before they stopped at you once more. Without a word, you made one step towards him and then wrapped your arms around his body. "Elijah...I love you", you whispered against his chest. You thought he would pull you away again, but after some minutes, you felt him wrapping his arms around you as well. Surprised, you looked up. And cried tears of relief. "I love you too", Elijah quietly said and kissed you. He was back, finally. And you could see it in his eyes, which were now filled with tears as well.