Chapter 12- My Mom

The next morning I woke up to dark eyes waiting to stab me. Figuritively, yes. Upon squeezing open my eyes, I recognized the person they belonged to. Jenna's boyfriend whom I've only met once before.

'Yo, what the fuck is he doin' here?!' I shouted out from my sprawled out position on the couch in the living room. Jenna emerged from the only bedroom in the flat. I didn't fail to notice her posture was stiff as she walked through the doorway.

She didn't speak, so I glared at him as I straightened up and pasted my back against the couch.

'You know, whoever you are, I could ask the same fuckin' question about you.' He growled. 'She is my girlfriend.'

'And my close friend.' I added in cold command. 'Also, I've known her longer than you have, prick.'

His eyebrows elevated, undoing his contorted face. 'Ain'tchu that bitch aspirin' to be a goddamn rapper or some shit?'

The rush of adrenaline washed down my veins.

Jenna decided to step in, knowing very well what could happen in the following minute.

'Yeah, well, Pristine, Devin's here only for awhile, he wanted to see me. And Devin,' She explained the reason behind my presence to him.

He flared up. 'So what, Jenna? Yo' ass is gon' take in every next person that comes in thru dat do'?'

It was only then I realized I had started talking too. 'Bitch I ain't just nobody, I'm her goddamn friend bitch, I can ask her for help and who the fuck-'

'Quit it, both of you! Staahp.' Jenna yelled along. 'Fuckin stop yo' barkin' asses!'

The three of us were just standing, Jenna between me and him, my arms wildly swinging and her boyfriend dangerously close enough to hit but Jenna barely managed to keep us apart. None of us was silent though, we kept spitting at each other like in a ghetto fight.

Unfortunately for Jenna, we were both taller than her and the matter was gettin' out of her hands. So with all her might, she shoved us in different directions, managing to push me down on the couch and him on the coffee table.

'Stop, just stop. I own this place! so I get to lay down the rules.' She screeched breathlessly. 'First rule, you do that again and I'mma sentchu both flyin thru dat do'. Second and final, Pristine's stayin' here, Devin.' A victorious grin tugged the end of my lips. 'And Pristine, Devin can come here whenever he wants to, he's my boyfriend and you're my bestfriend, and both of your asses got to accept that.'

Silence broke in. However, Devin and I continued to envision things we could do to hurt the other. For instance, I saw myself pressing on his Adam's apple fiercely or fiercer, ripping apart his vocal cords.

'Now stop popping out them eye sockets at each other, it's so creepy.' Jenna sighed.

Devin shifted his eyes on her. And I could just gape at the change that took over him. 'Babe, dontchu gotta go to work?' Jenna worked two jobs. Like many other, to keep this roof over head and not to piss the landlord off.

She nodded, flipping her hair and tying it into a messy bun before walking to the kitchen. My friend looked worn out.

'Babe, I hope you know it ain't wrong to ask people you help out by lettin' them live here to pay a share of the rent.' Devin flashed me a sly, evil look. But it didn't annoy me.

'No, Pristine just got fired.' Jenna called out, from the kitchen.

'I really don't mind. I'm goin to look for a job anyway. In fact, I had in mind I'd help out with the rent.' I called back, staring bitterly at him.