Chapter 9- Standing At Inferno

Chapter 9

The next morning our home white girl was early to rise. Pristine was always the one to start her day fresh, particularly because of work. After a quick cold, chilling shower to which her body responded by erupting goose bumps all over her pale, ivory skin she quickly dressed into a pair of jeans and yellow t-shirt which had been white when she’d purchased it. Brushing her hair lazily and pulling them into a low-neck ponytail, taking up a container, Pristine applied the remaining amount of moisturizer on her face, just because she had to and it was cold outside.  Her cocoa hued eyes were pulled to the torn, hanging wall calendar and her mind clicked. Seeing she still had time left, she allowed herself to open up her cramped closet off to the side in the bedroom.

Dismissing the minimal amount of clothes that met her, she knelt down. Amongst the several amounts of shoeboxes there was, (teenage obsession) her hands brushed past them till they made contact with one similar, carton and heaved it outside. The effort had the dust cluttered on it fleeing off in every direction, making her sneeze twice. Making it a point to spring clean in the near future, Pristine swiped the dust off the surface and opened the box, in which had come her most precious Nike Air Max 93 (which she still managed to wear), and the sight of wrinkled, crisp sea green papers, each abiding the infamous picture of Benjamin Franklin met her eyes. Her life savings. And it had become a routine to count them every end of the month.

Ten thousand dollars- Pristine counted.

Definitely not bad, considering working dead end jobs with lame pay for four years and counting.

She left the house that morning, whistling an amiable tune.

Pristine received a call at her work. She accepted it, throwing Keid a confused look.

The incoming news from the other end left her devastated.

Ignoring Manny’s persistent questions (who was the one to take the call to her) after that, she turned to Keid. “Oh my god, oh my god… Oh fuck! Please take me to my place right now! Keid, please! They, they burnt my house down!”

Taken aback, Keid just stared at her. “Someone just fucking broke into my house and burnt it down! Please fucking take me there!!” She screamed, as tears sprung up to her eyes.

Now able to register the urgency of the situation, Keid nodded and they dashed out the front door with their boss calling after them.

On the way there, Pristine had pictured her house to be engulfed in flames lashing in every direction possible, rebelling against the peaceful atmosphere of the neighborhood. But what she instead got was the result which she dreaded. Blackened, charred remains of a dwelling made impossible. The firemen had done their job, which was to die the fire down, and before her stood a massive, what would be the rough skeleton of her once upon a time residency. Amazing thing was it still stood after what the fire did.

She couldn’t keep her eyes off the scene, shutting the world around her off.

“Accelerant did the job,” The only man in uniform approached her. She didn’t even turn to look, listening while Keid remained silent beside her.

“I’m sorry.” He said without feeling, lighting up a cigarette. “Luckily the fire didn’t spread and someone noticed before it did.” Stroking his beard, the man continued to speak, “Someone called and said they saw a figure leave the premises, and the smoke was already radiating by then. I think it’s one of your neighbors. In fear of the fire spreading to their backyards, they said, they quickly phoned. Funny thing is, it isn’t even Halloween.”

Hearing no response, the tall black man sighed. “Look, I know it must be hard. But no one saw the motherfucker’s face even though it is 4 after noon and you know Detroit Police. No one here fucking charges for arson. People responsible rarely get caught. But I would, like a complete asswipe you must think, say we would try our best. It doesn’t matter if the culprit left with valuables or possessions or not, the case will be viewed as one of arson anyway- setting fire to another’s property- but I doubt we would get much far like with all the other cases. This shit has gone way too far.” Blowing out smoke, the officer turned his head to look at the girl who stood, drained of emotions. She was like a ghost staring off in to the distance. As if she was debating what to feel. What to do. Who to go to. He shook his head in disapproval, and parted his winter chapped, dark lips, “Miss Douglas, I would say this though, it is good news after all. You now have nothing left to lose.” Though his tone wasn’t mocking, Pristine had to know what he said was but true.

Everything was gone.

Ten thousand dollars. Her house.

Thus her new life.

A/N: I've never written something so fast-paced. But guess I just had to get it done. Sorry if it sucked, if ya'r ass liked it, then what the fuck is you waiting for, nigga?!!

Vote and comment!! ;)